Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: The stance on a Sticky Thread.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you feel like parsing the various threads from the past would be too time-consuming, how about as one poster suggested, something like the "Official <insert game> discussion thread"? Anything, any book goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any member is welcome to make a thread like this and link it as many time as they wish when repeat questions and such are posted. It just could not be stickied. I also think it would make it challenging to read. The more specific the threads are to a certain comment, issue, question, etc the better the thread will be. It would be quite a mess if every post regarding a certain book was in one thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously this isn't my first choice.

Well, I stand as always not convinced by the arguments presented against stickies. But...there's not much point in discussing it really. Mason and deac run the forum, and as such have made it clear that the policy ain't gonna' change unless they think it's in the forum's best interest.

The majority opinion, while still valuable, isn't enough to make the change on this particular matter. Kinda' like we own 49% of the vote and they constitute the other 51%. AK vs. 99 and our AK loses the race every time.

Oh well, at the very least, responding to each and every "which book?" thread ups your post count. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And just fyi, I do greatly appreciate the efforts of deac and Mason in this forum. Anarchy would reign with out 'em.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:20 AM

For what its worth, I agree with fraac and 7n7's thoughts. An anthology type sticky as can be found in the MTT forum is more likely to stimulate quality new discussion. After a reader has been directed to a given master thread he or she may have more specific questions and may get more thoughtful replies than the standard, "What do you think about ______" thread.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:30 AM

I think we need a sticky badly; a FAQ sticky.

This should include links to the best discussions on the most asked questions here - you know, Deac, the ones you quickly close with a comment about using the search function [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

This means:

Best PLO books
Best 7CS books
Best SH limit HE books
Best NL tournament books
Best NL cash game books

Discussions related to classics (TOP, HOH etc.)

And of course: Latest info on 2+2 schedule.

This would surely be a true FAQ and lead a lot of people to the places they're looking for so they won't clutter the place with the same questions again and again.

Cheers,

Smurf

PS: And keep book cover design and related non-essential issues away from my forum. Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2007, 06:37 AM

I think you should make a why is there no sticky sticky including Masons reply and an introduction to the search function (there are a couple of those in other stickys)

So at least besides having a what is the best book for NL Hold'em every other day, we wouldn't also have to deal with a why is there no sticky post every other day [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And books are a fun little creatures ... there are books you'd see me recommend a year ago, but these days I really can't anymore.