Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Does where you are from effect how people perceive you?

I got myself into an interesting/weird situation about a month ago and am a little confused about it. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about it.

OK, I was after this girl in one of my classes this past semester. It took quite alot of balls for me to start up a converstation since (at the time) seemed like my dream girl. I should note right away, that this girl is from the same race as I am and is <u>not even close</u> to a '10'; she is quite average looking.

Anyway, when I first approached her after class, I asked a stupid, trivial question so I could have some excuse to meet her. Now, the beginning of the converstation went very well. After introducing myself, I asked what her name was. She replied and immediately started asking questions about myself. I was going into this converstation thinking I would have to "pry" her open, asking her questions about herself. Well, the opposite of that happened. At this point, I would have to be an idiot to think my situation is not good. Correct??

After she asked me a bunch of questions about myself (major, year, etc) I asked her the same and brought up another topic. I talked about the upcomming exam we were having in the class. Well, after a quick response from her, she immediately wanted to know more about myself. At this point, I thought that I should be able to get at least a one date with this girl since she is showing quite a bit of interest.

Well, the question she asked me was where I was from. I told her I was from a town she probably hasn't heard of before and told her the general location of it. I said it was a very small town. I asked her were she was from and she said she was from the state's capital.

Now here is the interesting/weird/disappointing part. Right after I told her that, she quit asking me questions about myself. She acted like was had no interest whatsoever in me. How do I know? Well, I asked her other questions and she really didn't carry on the conversation. I then asked her what other classes she was taking. Again, she got to the point and quit talking.

My point is this: How could she possibly shift 180 degrees on me?? I went from feeling cool about the situation to feeling terrible about it. I mean there could be other reasons I was unaware of, but it sure seemed like she lost interest right when I told her I was from a small "unimportant" town.

I later got "rejected" when I asked her to study with me about a month from that day. She said she was busy and mentioned she had a boyfriend (which really didn't exist).

Another point I must add: Later on in the semester, I found that this girl is very 'stuck-up'. She thinks shes the greatest and has a huge ego. I could give <u>many</u> examples of this but I believe this post is long enough as it is.

So what do u guys think about this? Do you think that this could be a possiblity for my 'rejection'. Also, have you met anyone, same sex or not, who treats you differently when they find out where you are from??

Thanks guys.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Does where you are from effect how people perceive you?

Sure it could be the reason. But I don't think it matters much if it is. She failed the stuck up ho test, and you're better off without her.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:35 PM

Couldn't it have something to do with the fact that you failed to give her an answer to an extremely straightforward question?

-McGee
Old 05-15-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't it have something to do with the fact that you failed to give her an answer to an extremely straightforward question?

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no, I think you mis understood me. I did tell her exactly where I was from, then commented on it.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no, I think you mis understood me. I did tell her exactly where I was from, then commented on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It appears that I did.

Anyway, yes, there are people like this girl. They generally aren't worth worrying about.

-McGee
Old 05-15-2007, 05:21 PM

Crazyhands,

Am I correct in guessing that you are not white? At any rate, just file this girl in the "bitch" file and move on.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:41 PM

lol, bitches
Old 05-15-2007, 07:19 PM

That's interesting, I have had that experience, but for my benefit. I'm born and raised in California, and was out visiting an east-coast school for the weekend a little bit ago. When we went out to some frat parties and stuff, everyone who found out I was from Cali seemed really intrigued by it. There aren't many west coast people out there anyway and I guess lots of people still think we all surf and live by movie stars and [censored] out here. Whatever, it all works out for me [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Crazyhands,

Am I correct in guessing that you are not white? At any rate, just file this girl in the "bitch" file and move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT; This has more to do with her thinking you're not wealthy and less to do with where you're actually from IMO.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Crazyhands,

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT; This has more to do with her thinking you're not wealthy and less to do with where you're actually from IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I just assumed that they were both not white and she was interested because she thought he wasn't from America, but not being rich makes sense too.