Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Marriage

Besides the tax break (which shouldnt be underestimated), I dont see the point of two Americans getting married. I think Guids is accurate in his comments.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:25 AM

"2) travel
we're going abroad to teach english/work with NGOs etc. it'll very likely be more culturally appropriate for us to be married."

you might want to research this more. NGO's seem to have a bad reputation in parts of SEA, but this is only stuff ive read on blogs/message boards so it might be wrong.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the 50% statistic is a little misleading because a lot of divorces are 2nd or 3rd (or more) marriages. in other words, 50% of marriages might end in divorce, but nowhere near 50% of people who get married get divorced.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. But still, there are a ton of people who are getting married when they shouldn't be.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
after looking through facebook and myspace i realized how many beautiful girls are out there! i would have to be crazy to let some woman tie me down! as much as im opposed to marriage in order to have a thousand girlfriends, I know that the lightningbolt can strike me at any time with a poison which there is no cure for!

it can happen to any of us. Being opposed to marriage only to be struck by the lighningbolt and have it all ruined. Either that or one of your gfs tying you down by getting pregnant.

moral of the story: get a vasectomy, so no evil intention gf can tie you down [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you spend the rest of your life with a woman who tricked you into getting her pregnant?

I guess you could claim for religious reasons, but if either of you were religious you wouldn't be having premarital sex in the first place.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but if either of you were religious you wouldn't be having premarital sex in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's something wrong with your premise.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:38 PM

It's a symbol of commitment. Symbolism is powerful and valued by many people. It does not need to have "practical" value to have value.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:41 PM

Recently broke up with gf in part because I couldn't promise I'd ever want to get married. That being said, she could not come up with a decent reason why she wanted to. In all honesty I believe that women mostly want a rock to show off to their girlfriends and a fairy tale wedding (whether they can admit this or not).
Old 05-15-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Recently broke up with gf in part because I couldn't promise I'd ever want to get married. That being said, she could not come up with a decent reason why she wanted to. In all honesty I believe that women mostly want a rock to show off to their girlfriends and a fairy tale wedding (whether they can admit this or not).

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, they want the security of knowing you're not going to up and [censored] off one day if you get bored. You have to really mean it to get a divorce, and they get some (better) legal protection for the kids.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a symbol of commitment. Symbolism is powerful and valued by many people. It does not need to have "practical" value to have value.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best answer yet.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
IANAL, nor am I an expert on this subject, but there are a couple of legal issues here that I think you omitted. They include, but are not limited to, inheritance rights, hospital visitation rights, and, umm, maybe some other things. I'm pretty sure there are some situations like these where spouses have legal rights to visit you in the hospital if you're not conscious to let them in, inherit your stuff if you don't have a will, or perhaps access other stuff of yours if the two of you are not bound in a state-recognized marriage. If you love someone, these ancillary benefits are worth something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Inheritance rights=transfer of land/other property.

As for "hospital visitation right," I have a will, which covers all of this thoroughly.

[/ QUOTE ]

A will has no effect until you are dead. So I assume you mean a living will. Here's the thing: I don't need a living will for my wife to visit me in the hospital. My friend with her live-in boyfriend does. Is that a big deal? I don't know. I've been in hospitals with my sick parents before and no one ever asked for ID to visit, so I think the whole "visiting in the hospital" excuse may be exaggerated.

But don't gay marriage proponents have a list of 1000 things that married people get automatically that single people don't? Here's something I found from a quick Google:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/mar_bene.htm

As the link points out, some of those things can't be contracted for. E.g., my employer gives my spouse health insurance and life insurance on me. A co-worker with a live-in doesn't get those benefits. I get bereavement leave if she dies. A co-worker with a live-in doesn't. If my wife dies in a flaming car wreck, I can sue the car manufacturer as her next of kin and win millions of dollars. A live-in can't do that.