Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Re: anyone else colourblind?

[ QUOTE ]

Grayscale:

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man! Dejavu!

I think, Excal and Sahara have the worst lighting, not to mention some pretty scuzzy chips which only add to the confusion, oh I can't forget Binion's...holy crap terrible lighting, but it's still my favorite!!

<font color="blue"> Is that a purple chip? </font>

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2007, 02:18 AM

i'm not color blind. but i have trouble with some colors.

i know how annoying the whole 'what color is my shirt?' thing can be. i think it's in your best interest to announce that you have trouble with colors, and ask the dealer for help. seems like most people wouldn't mind being helpful in this situation.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Grabbed the pix of the chips from the wiki, but most clubs use a similar sort of edge coding:

Grayscale:

[/ QUOTE ]

Angus - color blind does not mean we see in black &amp; white, it means we see the color spectrum differently from you. Sometimes they blend in together with other colors we see as similar, sometimes they are brighter and more vibrant than what you see. But I get your point none the less...the chip edges are exactly what I use when I have a problem.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:50 AM

Well, just so you Know the scale of my problem. I`m looking at these bellagio chips in broad daylite and i cant tell the $5 from the $100.

I know it says $5 and $100 but like somebody else said.. you cant see the top of all the chips.

Anyway, I thank you all for your input and i guess announcing my problem would be the answer, sort of.

Although i do play in some pretty unfreindly joints

cheers
Old 05-15-2007, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i am color blind also. I announce it at the table when playing with red &amp; green mixed chips, amazingly everyone is always helpful, even in tournaments so its never been a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am also red/green colorblind and I haven't had many problems. When I played no limit and tourneys more regularly, I would ask for chip counts more frequently then necessary (but not annoyingly often) hoping to avoid giving anything away when I actually needed to know.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:32 PM

I am red/green color blind (but seem to have trouble with some other colors as well). While not anywhere near the same level of color blindness that raju describes, I've had a few instances where I bet a $25 chip thinking it was a $5 chip. Normally, I keep my chips as separate as possible but sometimes when stacking, a green gets mixed in with the reds.

When that happens, I usually let someone know and most people are kind enough to point it out if they see it happen.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:35 PM

I've played with a few colorblind players recently in tournaments. They've asked me (10 seat/7 seat) to eyeball their stacks to make sure they were clean a couple times...easy enough to do, especially when its in my natural sightline.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:57 PM

Ah yes, the ole what color is "X" song and dance that we all endure. No matter what answer you give, they're still going to look at you like you're an alien. Of course, sometimes I probably look like an alien (or clown) when I walk out the door in the morning sporting my finest ... white shirt, navy trousers and green socks.

Much to the chagrin of my wife (who must put up with being seen with a tall, mismatched, goofy bald guy) I long ago decided that it's the non-color blind people who don't see correctly. My car really is blue (not green as everyone else claims) and brown is just a mass hallucination of the majority of the population.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:04 PM

It won't help with chip stacks, but why not ask the dealers to annouce all bets when you're in a hand? And when putting out chips, be sure to declare all bets.

It's a little interesting learning so many regulars have color difficulty.

Is blue to you what's blue to me?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is blue to you what's blue to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, everything is shades of purple.