Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Re: awesome glitches in video games

[ QUOTE ]
LJN's Major League Baseball for NES. That game has more bugs than any game I've ever played.

Players could walk into the stands. If a ball hit the wall near the foul pole, it was a homer. Defenders threw balls that defied gravity, yet travelled at 5 mph. Pretty much any infield grounder was a safe hit.

And on and on and on.

[/ QUOTE ]

RBI Baseball had some of these also. My favorite was when you'd hit the ball down the line, and the ball would end up hitting the wall in foul territory (after already hitting in fair territory to be a fair ball) and bounce in the stands. You pretty much had an inside the park homer unless you could get your left fielder into the stands to get the ball (you had to go at a certain angle). Even then the ball would be tough to get into play, as it would hit this invisible wall that kept the ball in the stands.

Also, Jose Canseco for the AL team was unreal. If you were Oakland, he was good, but for the AL team he was Bo-Jackson-on-Tecmo-Superbowlesque.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:58 PM

In Tecmo NBA Basketball for NES, you can get away with goaltending. Just stand near the basket (I think it helps if you use your center or another tall player...I always used Patrick Ewing), and jump as the shot gets close to the rim. IIRC, you could steal the shot out of the air 50-70% of the time and not get called for it. I drove my friend nuts doing this.

ScottieK
Old 05-15-2007, 01:14 PM

ken griffey jr baseball 98 (aka best sports game ever) you could pull "griffey trades" by always offering 3 scrubs for 1 all star.. computer would never decline that trade!
Old 05-15-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we can all agree that NHL 93 and NHL 94 are the two greatest video games ever created.

[/ QUOTE ]

"I wish they still had fights in this game so I could bitch-slap Wayne."...

"Y'know, it's not so much me as Roenick; he's good."
Old 05-15-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ah nice, thanks. since nhl95 for computer doesn't have manual goalie and that's what i grew up on, i never learned how to do it in 94 - i'd prob get my head handed to me.

EDIT - line changes off is a beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

btw, there are some ridiculously good players out there. I was the best player I ever knew from my friends/friends of friends, and in that online league I was the 2nd or 3rd best player. Almost everyone would have been the best or 2nd best in my home group of friends. It's a very self selected group of people still determined to play a 13 year old video game.

apparently the game is huge in Finland and they have maybe the best players in the world, but b/c of lag/internet problems it's hard to tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wish there were an NHL95 for computer league - I played that game so much I'd have to be great at it, and the checking is much more reliable - too often in NHL94 you bounce off the other guy or fail to impede him in any way. Can you hook/hold in that game? I'm curious if you use that on defense too.

Still, only my brother and I really played each other, so it could be that 'I'm great at Goldeneye, I beat all my friends!' syndrome, where against a real player you have no chance.

Also, line changes off means you don't have to know your players' strengths (and weaknesses) up and down the lineup - that was one of my biggest assets, knowing who can score from where, who's fast and who's slow, who's a right handed or left handed shot, and adjusting the lines accordingly. A person who uses Winnipeg in NHL94 might not realize that Evgeny Davydov is better than Keith Tkachuk, or that Frederik Olausson is probably better than Teppo Numminen.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:23 PM

Similar one - in EA's NHL '99 (i think it was 99, maybe 02), some random chud like Robert Reichel goes from being a crap 3rd liner to a star in the first offseason

NHL Live 07 from EA sports (its in the game) has a player editor feature that will allow the user to turn anyone from scrub to hero.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Frederik Olausson is probably better than Teppo Numminen.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude wtf! that's the craziest thing I've ever heard.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:24 PM

This move still works today even in NHL 07 from EA sports (its in the game).
Old 05-15-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

classic aaron brooks glitch

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Similar one - in EA's NHL '99 (i think it was 99, maybe 02), some random chud like Robert Reichel goes from being a crap 3rd liner to a star in the first offseason

NHL Live 07 from EA sports (its in the game) has a player editor feature that will allow the user to turn anyone from scrub to hero.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reichel rules! 630 points in 830 career games...

Calgary had a speed team to during these early/mid 90s EA years...
Theoren Fleury, Robert Reichel, Gary Suter, Gary Roberts, Joe Nieuwendyk, Sergei Makarov, Al MacInnis, Joel Otto, Paul Ranheim.