Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Computer Science

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who says CS is flat out easy is dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the contrary, wouldn't it make them smart?

[/ QUOTE ]

or liars =)
Old 05-14-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Go look for some intro to C++ tutorial on the internet and skim through it.

[/ QUOTE ]

A sure way to ensure OP hates CS.

[/ QUOTE ]

But Java is so boring!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Go look for some intro to C++ tutorial on the internet and skim through it.

[/ QUOTE ]

A sure way to ensure OP hates CS.

[/ QUOTE ]

But Java is so boring!

[/ QUOTE ]

Learning any language on your own is really boring for a lot of people. Especially if you haven't been introduced to computer science in a formal way before. You will also almost certainly develop some bad programming habits that you will need to unlearn.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:00 PM

Computer science is not really that hard for some people, and is almost impossible for others. I'm working toward a master's degree now, and I constantly see people struggle at it, even smart engineering students in other departments. Other people take to it very easily. I started out with no experience coding but had no problems learning C++ and from there more than a dozen other languages. Writing code is the easy part of CS though.

I find it very enjoyable, but I'm a nerd. It really comes down to problem solving more than anything, the technology changes quickly and will continue to do so, probably forever. The problems change much more slowly, and the coursework tends to be split into teaching you problem solving, and teaching you how to handle data. If you like those kinds of things and you like computers, you may enjoy the field.

Opportunities are everywhere. It depends on what you want to do and where you want to live, but even here in the midwest there are a number of software jobs.

If you are not very social, as seems to be pretty common in CS, start working on fixing that now. That has been my single largest hurdle in my life. You don't need to be that knows everybody and is liked by everybody, but you need to be comfortable in both small and large social environments. If you don't do this, you will see the jobs that you are interested in going to others that are less technically qualified, but more personable. Hopefully this isn't a problem for you, it is just something that I have observed in myself and in lots of other people in engineering.