Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 09:12 AM

Default I am a braindead multitabling nit/hudbot and some other stuff

seriously.
I have well over 300k hands logged at 2-4 6max. I play consistently at 17%vpip/14%pfr/4.1af. Those numbers dont vary much even by session. My winrate is good but not phenomenal; I play a lot of tables and I'm easily rolled for higher games.

My record at 5-10 is not great, and my record at 3-6 is worse. Usually after a losing session, I know why I lost; either I was bluffing way too often, calling too often, being a total puss, playing sloppy all around, or I just got cold decked. After some of these not-so-hot-shots I've been unable to figure out what going wrong.. This is way more frustrating to me than bad beats or whatever.

This last weekend I took another shot at 5/10 and did very well for once, but I'm playing like a total nit: 14/12 over 4k hands. I felt on top of my game, but poker is pretty easy when your running well I guess.
It seems like most of the good regulars are in almost twice as many pots as I am. Also, many of the really good online players you hear about are crazy loose and aggressive (but maybe thats why you hear about them...)

anyway, thanks for reading my rambling, I guess my question is:
Can I get away with playing this tight preflop at the higher midstakes online games?

Should I stick it out at 5-10 and see what happens as I get more comfortable, or move back down and experiment with playing more hands?

btw, I know don't post much, but I've learned a lot from these forums over the last couple of years so thanks and I'll try and post some hands and chime in on strategy.

shnk
Old 05-15-2007, 10:17 AM

Default Re: I am a braindead multitabling nit/hudbot and some other stuff

Playing 14/12 is a pretty sane style regarding immediate value of your hands and the fact that people are gonna make mistakes versus a range this tight as a default. By adding in more hands you are either looking to extract more value from your big hands or expect your opponents to make even bigger mistakes than the ones you made by entering a pot with a not so good hand.
I dont think you can get away playing this tight in the long run playing against competent opponents. Otoh you shouldn`t loosen up your range just for the sake of it.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:41 AM

w/ great game selection this will work but its not impressive
Old 05-15-2007, 10:51 AM

Tillerman did very well playing a smart nit style. The thing is, most people play nitty to avoid playing poker all that often, thus they don't push small edges enough. 25/20 is a mindset more than anything.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
w/ great game selection this will work but its not impressive

[/ QUOTE ]

???
Old 05-15-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing 14/12 is a pretty sane style regarding immediate value of your hands and the fact that people are gonna make mistakes versus a range this tight as a default. By adding in more hands you are either looking to extract more value from your big hands or expect your opponents to make even bigger mistakes than the ones you made by entering a pot with a not so good hand.
I dont think you can get away playing this tight in the long run playing against competent opponents. Otoh you shouldn`t loosen up your range just for the sake of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Do you think 14/12 at 6max is actually more exploitable than a looser style? I think that may very well be close to theoretically correct in an aggressive game assuming normal stack sizes (that doesn't however mean that the OP is using the correct mix of hands to play). The downside being that 1) if you're better than your opponents postflop, you're leaving a lot of profit on the table and 2) you face far fewer marginal spots postflop, so you don't get good at them. That said, I'm looser than a skank who just gave birth to quintuplets and I love playing against crappy TAGs.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Do you think 14/12 at 6max is actually more exploitable than a looser style? I think that may very well be close to theoretically correct in an aggressive game assuming normal stack sizes (that doesn't however mean that the OP is using the correct mix of hands to play). The downside being that 1) if you're better than your opponents postflop, you're leaving a lot of profit on the table and 2) you face far fewer marginal spots postflop, so you don't get good at them. That said, I'm looser than a skank who just gave birth to quintuplets and I love playing against crappy TAGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

14/12 at 6max is exploitably tight and I doubt you will find many people here who think this is worth debating. I personally think that 25-27/19-22 is optimal, and I have heard other good players echo this (I think sbrugby mentions something similiar to this in a cr video).

But really, it doesnt matter. The best strategy is one that exploits opponent mistakes, and sometimes this is 14/12 and sometimes it is 35/25. Additionaly, as has been shown by the presence of winners with virtually all types of preflop stats, raw frequency isn't nearly as imporant as picking your spots. Lastly, postflop is way way more important than preflop anyways.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really? Do you think 14/12 at 6max is actually more exploitable than a looser style? I think that may very well be close to theoretically correct in an aggressive game assuming normal stack sizes

[/ QUOTE ]

Winning 1 out of 6 hands would be 16.67% of hands he's dealt. If he's only playing 14% of his hands, his opponents can defeat him simply by letting him take the blinds the 12% of the time that he raises unless they have aces. He will lose money in the blinds at a faster rate than what he takes with his own steals. So needless to say, 14/12 is far from optimal because a table full of 14/12 players are letting a bunch of pots go entirely uncontested.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:40 PM

lolotrickdu

Mark
Old 05-15-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

14/12 at 6max is exploitably tight and I doubt you will find many people here who think this is worth debating. I personally think that 25-27/19-22 is optimal, and I have heard other good players echo this (I think sbrugby mentions something similiar to this in a cr video).

But really, it doesnt matter. The best strategy is one that exploits opponent mistakes, and sometimes this is 14/12 and sometimes it is 35/25. Additionaly, as has been shown by the presence of winners with virtually all types of preflop stats, raw frequency isn't nearly as imporant as picking your spots. Lastly, postflop is way way more important than preflop anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think almost everyone who plays that tight plays in a highly exploitable fashion (and generally suck postflop and also suck at choosing the right mix of cards to start with), but I just don't think it's exploitable by nature. I totally agree with postflop being more important, of course. My beef was with the statement: "I dont think you can get away playing this tight in the long run playing against competent opponents." Not only can you get away with it, I think it becomes more correct the more competent opponents get.