Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 07:01 AM

Default Overcrowded cash game

I have space for 10 at the table for a cash game that has been going on for the last few weeks. But lately I've been at risk of having 11 or 12 players show up. Obviously it would be great to have the right number of players, but I've been forced to choose whether to err on the side of having too many or too few players.
Also, at this point, I don't think I can "uninvite" any of the (mostly regular) players.

Anyway, I'm thinking of setting up some kind of rotation system and I'd like some feedback.
Currently, my idea for a player on "stand-by" is this: Every X # of hands, the short stack at the table has to sit out, and he is replaced by the person on standby. This continues as long as there's someone waiting. If there are two people on standby, then the two shortest stacks sit out.
I figure this will encourage some people to reload so they can avoid sitting out for X # of hands. Of course, I put a maximum stack amount for reloads, which guarantees there will always be someone short-stacked.

What do you guys think? Any alternative ideas or variations?

-ds
Old 05-15-2007, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Overcrowded cash game

12 players, I say two tables of 6.

I wouldnt play in a game where I was forced to reload
Old 05-15-2007, 08:48 AM

Agreed.

Although what I would do is just have the 11/12th players wait for someone to bust out.

OR

If you call everyone before the game, ask a few people to come later, that wait there will be room when they get there.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:42 AM

if people do not rsvp and the table is full, then they must wait.

http://poker.meetup.com/718 is where I make everyone RSVP. it is a great way to communicate games to numerous people. If a poker meetup group does not exist in your area, then start one. Once it gets rolling, you will be suprised how easy it is to find games.

Takes a while to get people used to using the site to rsvp, but once they are used to it, 50-60 player tournaments are easy to fill not to mention full cash games pretty much anytime you want one. "if you post it, they will come"
Old 05-15-2007, 12:53 PM

You can also do what these two clowns did.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although what I would do is just have the 11/12th players wait for someone to bust out.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, and having free beer for them while they wait will pay for itself...

Are you just playing hold'em? If you play anything besides hold'em in your cash game (like we do) than 6-7 players is perfect. We run two tables after our tourneys and it is awesome. Is opening another table an option?
Old 05-15-2007, 02:48 PM

In the game I play that is limited to 10, the host sends out an e-mail, and it's first to respond plays. If you aren't there when the cards fly, though, and someone on the wait shows up, you are on the wait.

Seems fair to me.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the game I play that is limited to 10, the host sends out an e-mail, and it's first to respond plays. If you aren't there when the cards fly, though, and someone on the wait shows up, you are on the wait.

Seems fair to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said, unless you want to start up a second table.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:21 PM

Raise the stakes a tad
Old 05-15-2007, 07:08 PM

Ya snooze, ya lose. I play in one game where this is occasionally a problem. Those of us who really want to play get there early. It's at a bar/clubhouse, so there's usually drinking and socializing to do, but any sort of "rotation" system we tried to implement ended very poorly and nobody liked it.

At my house I'm fortunate to have room for multiple tables. I have octagonal tables, but we squeeze nine on one when we have that many. At the tenth person we have two tables of five. I used to draw for seats, but the first table is much nicer, so now it's split by order of arrival. As new players arrive, those already in games have options to move first. We mostly dig both shorthanded and longhanded play, so it works out. I like to socialize with everyone who comes, and also not make some feel relegated to the "kiddie table", or have people feel like they're insulding a table if they move, so I often elect to move myself.

You can go insane trying to please all of the people all of the time. As my game has evolved, I've discovered that while people may whine and moan, in the end they respect a firm hand. It can be a lot of work to set up a game, and those who respect the host enough to show up at a reasonable start time get seniority. Simple as that.