Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 02:54 PM

Default What was the correct play? 1-2 NL Live

Questioning my play here on a defining hand last night in LV. I bought in for $140 and had worked it up to $280 in a few hours. Villain in this hand was incredibly loosey goosey. I saw him call down with pocket threes on the river to a player that had bet out each street.

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in one of the blinds. I called a raise to $12 after 4 people entered the pot before me.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

The villain was the one that had raised and he bet out $25. The other three players folded. I felt that he likely had an Ace with good kicker. I thought a pair of tens was a possibility with him, but probably not likely. He had around $150 left, so I had him covered by $100.

I pushed all in.

Was this the correct play for me in this situation? If not, I suppose a call is the correct play?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: What was the correct play? 1-2 NL Live

i like this line, since he's loosey goosey

if he can only have an Ace that outkicks you, you could just call, but against a loosey, pushing is fine, he'll often have you outkicked, but he'll show up worse flush draws and other crap if he's really bad
Old 05-14-2007, 03:00 PM

This is a good reason why you don't coldcall a raise from the blinds with a suited rag-Ace. All of your options are less than great. If you think it's likely that he will check the turn with a better Ace, flatcall. If not, push. But next time, don't call preflop. Raise or fold instead.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:08 PM

Ok, I see your point, but aren't I getting good pot odds on cold calling the raise when 4 others are in? I'm calling $10 into a pot of $49 here. Or are you saying to fold because unless I flop 2 pair, for the most part, I'm wasting twelve bucks?
Old 05-14-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a good reason why you don't coldcall a raise from the blinds with a suited rag-Ace. All of your options are less than great. If you think it's likely that he will check the turn with a better Ace, flatcall. If not, push. But next time, don't call preflop. Raise or fold instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

you must have missed the part about the 3 other callers. calling is fine w/ so many people in the pot. your equity is greater than the money you put in by calling.

hu fold Axs, throw in a few callers and it's a profitable call, if you're live and no one folds, there's no reason to squeeze.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:11 PM

You're getting good odds to see the flop, but you're not going to flop a made hand. At least, not one that's in the lead usually.

Actually TBH I will sometimes make this preflop call. But if I do I'm also leading this flop strongly.