Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Live 5/10nl facing overbet with close to the nuts

Playing 5/10nl at resorts a couple nights ago when the following situation came up. The villain in this hand is a bad player. He only raises with the goods, will call down when he knows he's beat, and is generally too tight preflop (VPIP probably around 10-15%). I busted him earlier when I flopped a flush draw and an inside straight draw on a K64 board (I had 87 out of the BB), and he raised my flop bet, I hit the flush on the turn, and he called two very large bets on the turn/river. He has 1200 to start the hand, I have him covered.

Preflop, he limps in MP, a player in between us limps, I raise to 60 from button with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Only he calls.

Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He checks, I check behind.

Turn is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. He bets out $325. What do you do? Obviously I'm not folding, but do I raise here, or do I just call. The reason I ask is calling is kind of fishy, as he is putting up a 3x pot size bet here.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Live 5/10nl facing overbet with close to the nuts

lol.. click call
Old 05-13-2007, 05:20 PM

dont check the flop

just call the turn
Old 05-13-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dont check the flop

just call the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not normally one of those guys who chronically slow plays their big hands. I am a big fan of leading out on the flop when hitting big. This case however, I believe he does not have an over pair because he would've raised preflop, so giving a free card to me is just fine, as I put him on two overcards. If he hits on the turn, I might make some money off of him. Right now, I don't make any money by betting the flop, because he can just throw his overcards away. I feel like I need to give him a little rope here to hang himself with.

When he makes the big bet on the turn, what kind of hand range are we looking at. I honestly can't think of many hands that he can do this with that aren't pure bluffs. Obviously that means that I should just call, but still can someone give me a good reason he would do this without a pure bluff.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:24 PM

I would have checked flop as well. Nothing too scary on the flop. Then again all depends on the villian.

Turn I would just call as the only thing that would beat you are pocket 2's OR or an overpair which hits on the river.

You are in position, let him lead out the river. From there you know the action. If he bets you shove. If he checks, I would throw out a suspicious mid range bet
Old 05-13-2007, 07:25 PM

You describe a villain who has trouble getting away from hands once he enters a pot PF.. Bet the flop. And yeah, turn is a call 100% of the time.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:37 PM

I agree call.

I'm curious what people think the best way to act while calling is. I'm thinking pause a couple seconds, express a little surpise at the bet size but without saying anything, look confused then call. Trying to convey, hmm I have an overpair/9, why did I check the flop, I don't believe you have a 2, and I guess I have to call.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:40 PM

Disagree LFTV, I think you call pretty quickly with a staredown.. As if we need to read into his soul. Maybe furrow a brow [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2007, 07:42 PM

I would take a second and stare at the pot., roughly count what is in the pot as if I were calculating odds to call then toss it in.

Then again... You dont see me on TV making millions! .... IMO lol
Old 05-13-2007, 08:04 PM

I really think a flop check is fine here, and I bet any big hand I flop. given its live play, call the turn after a few seconds of looking at him and the board, and dont say a damn word.

If he checks the river you probably aren't getting any more out of him, so i'd bet somewhere around $400, and if he bets, shove obv.