Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Professor gives rude comments on paper, my response?

[ QUOTE ]
Goofy,

I don't like it when professors call me dumb, but if I turn something in knowing it's crap and they tell me it's crap, I don't mind at all because I know it's true. I've gotten a few rude comments ( [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]), but I've always deserved them.

[/ QUOTE ]

foshoooo
Old 05-06-2007, 07:51 PM

I think his comments were a bit harsh. I don't think it warrants any sort of action on your part though.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:29 AM

My guess is this paper read like it was written at the last minute, without much thought, and without much proofreading. Yeah, prof was annoyed to have been given that. It's not his duty to pat you on the head and pleasantly tell you that perhaps you should proofread what you write, and ask if maybe you didn't give him your best effort. He just gave you his unedited thoughts.

Thicken your skin and realize this prof just shoots from the hip with his comments. Complaining about the phrasing of the prof's comments isn't going to gain you much except further ire. If his complaints have merit, ignore how he phrases them and do better next time. And now you know that this guy seriously hates getting papers with obvious typos and structure errors--don't send him any more such work and you may avoid receiving further scathing commentary (and honestly, none of these comments sound all that bad to me.)
Old 05-07-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
comment I got on paper last year: "You might
want to check those brownies you've been scarfing before hitting send."

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, awesome.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:36 PM

i had a professor last semester who would write comments like that, but not in a mean spirited way. he was a real nice guy that just was honest about things that needed improvement. everybody, even those who did really well, got comments that would seem "rude" on their face, but really he was not being rude at all; it was just his (semi)sarcastic style.
for example, i did really well on one assignment (i think i got the top grade in the class for that one), but there were numerous times when when he'd circle a sentence that was poorly worded and write something like:

"this really sucks"
or
"haha this sentence is soooo confusing. are you trying to torture me?"

obviously if i didn't know they guy i'd think "what a dick!"...but if you knew him, you'd know not to get offended by the comments at all. (it helped that he would also give plenty of positive feedback for things that you did well.)

anyways, i don't know if OP's prof is the same. it's very possible he's just a dick, but i would ignore it...sex w/ wife or daughter is an intriguing option, however
Old 05-08-2007, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i had a professor last semester who would write comments like that, but not in a mean spirited way. he was a real nice guy that just was honest about things that needed improvement. everybody, even those who did really well, got comments that would seem "rude" on their face

[/ QUOTE ]
Which reminds me of a paper I did for a Fiction into Film english class (gotta hate having to take humanities to become a well-rounded person in college--dammit, I just wanted to learn engineering!) Got back the first paper and my heart sank. It was COVERED in red marks. Every other sentence the prof had found something to dislike. Just a sea of red. I turn to the 2nd page hoping he'd get tired of ripping on me and no, it's equally bloody. Crap. Turn to the third page and on the bottom is "A+ EXCELLENT!!! Can I distribute a copy of this to all the students to read?"

That's a good kinda prof. I'm always happy to have constructive criticism, long as you ultimately acknowledge at the end that I do indeed rewl. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2007, 02:06 PM

does no one else proof read papers and read out works
I mean serisouly sometimes my mind automaically puts them there but I still do good school
Old 05-13-2007, 03:29 AM

1 or 5 or both, and don't write [censored] papers... even if you don't think they're very important, it takes all of 30sec per page to proof read a paper, and looks awful if you have stupid mistakes...

That said, I've turned in poorly written papers in the past as well, but they are usually later in the semester, when I am sure of my grade, and the expectations of the prof...

That said, good job getting it in early, it sounds like you're on the right path... the prof might have flamed you bc he is happy that you got it in early, and is hoping that you write a good paper and get a good grade deserving of your work/ planning ahead ability etc.

-J
Old 05-13-2007, 03:49 AM

<3 how OP seems to have vanished!
Old 05-13-2007, 11:53 AM

dude, you're not in high school anymore. suck it up.