Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 12:20 AM

Default One night in Portland

A friend of mine from high school is getting married in Newport, Oregon on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. I'm flying into Portland on Friday, driving down to Newport, doing wedding stuff, then driving back to Portland early Sunday afternoon. My flight leaves midday Monday.

I've never been to Portland, so clearly I have to do what I can to experience it in one night. I'll be staying downtown; one of my buddies from HS will probably tag along.

What to do? I like:

craft beer
seafood
lively, spacious bars/restaurants
safe transportation
eye candy is always appreciated

I don't like:

nnn-tsss clubs
exorbitant prices

For those who know the city and have similar interests, if you had one night there, what would you do?
Old 05-12-2007, 03:41 AM

Default Re: One night in Portland

1. Get a box.
2. Cut hole in the box.....
Old 05-12-2007, 05:40 AM

Portland has the most strip clubs )percapita), so start there i guess. This city can be fun :P...
Old 05-12-2007, 07:27 AM

i thought this was about poland, i'm no longer interested.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:59 AM

I really clicked on this thread thinking that it was "one night in paris" even though I'm not sure if that's exactly the name of that video.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:12 AM

it is. or so i hear.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:32 PM

you will be in downtown Portland?

Rogue has a nice beer house up on 13th, I believe. Rogue Brewing is actually based out of Newport, OR. Anyway, they have some quality beer and it would definitely be within walking distance. You could also stumble into one of the many McMenamins downtown, they also sell crafted beer. Good stuff as well.

There are tons of strips clubs. The ones downtown are pretty much what you would expect for downtown strip clubs. There are tons of cool bars on 2nd, Between Ash St and Couch St. Or you could venture around Pearl District or the area right off of Burnside close to 405. The Uptown area, NW 23rd is a nice area as well.

You will pretty much find a lot of the same sort of thing in those areas. Not sure, but there could be a Portland Beavers game (AAA ball) at PGE park that weekend.

The Max line downtown is easy to use, and free downtown. Walking is a good option as well. There isn't really an area downtown I wouldn't walk in.

As for Seafood, sorry I can't recommend anywhere.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:45 AM

jake's is solid 4 seafood.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:20 PM

I grew up in Portland, and I agree Jakes is the best place to go for seafood. A little pricey, but that's only by Portland standards. Portland is home to Powell's Books, which is the worlds largest bookstore and one of my favorite places in the city. It's on 12th and Burnside. Other great places to go during the day: PGE Park/Portland Beavers Baseball, Mt. Tabor, Waterfront Park.

There are a lot of great bars in Portland, but none of them will be that lively on a Sunday night. Here are a few of my favorites:

Portland City Grill-On the 30th floor of the U.S. Bank Tower, just off Burnside. It's pretty swanky, but the views of the city are incredible and there are always gorgeous, rich women there.

Henry's 12th Street tavern is right next to Powell's books. I actually havent' been there, but I hear good things about it. Also a little swanky.

The Rialto is a great bar/pool hall right downtown (4th and Washington, I think). They recently remodeled the whole place and it went from being a dark, seedy pool hall right out of the Hustler, to a nice, clean, shiny place. I think I liked it better the other way, but it's still a fun place to go and it definitely attracts cuter girls now than it used to.

The Blue Moon-This is a McMenamins bar (you should check out their website) on NW21st and Johnson (I think). Very relaxed atmosphere. A great place to hang out and they make some of the best beer in the city. Good bar food, too. However, it will probably be pretty dead on Sunday night. Also consider Ringlers. It's another McMenamins that is close to the bookstore. There is a great concert venue upstairs called the Crystal Ballroom. There's probably nothing much going on there on Sunday, but it would be worth it to check their calendar.

There are also a lot of other bars to walk to on NW 21st ave from total dive to upscale. So taking a short cab ride up there and then bar hopping up and down the street is a good idea.

The are some great strip clubs in Portland, but (in my opinion) none of the downtown ones are that great. If you do want to go to a strip club, I would reccommend the Dolphin, but it is a fairly long cab ride from downtown. The Acropolis is also good, and that one isn't too far. It's actually on the same street as the Dolphin (hwy 99/Mcloughlin Blvd.), but it is a lot closer to downtown.

I hope this helps. Portland is a great city so you should definitely have a good time. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:00 PM

Arizone, I think we can both agree Sunday is not a great night for P-Town.