Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: How to handle incorrect rules interpretation on a dealer mishap

The turn card gave you trips, no? I don't understand your statement about outs for the river. Maybe I'm missing something.

One thing I've learned is that you can't fight city hall at a home poker game. You tried to sell them on the correct rule, but you got overruled. Stay in the hand and play it with the extra information you have. Later, try to explain the reason for the rule they are not following. I don't know what else you could do.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:30 PM

Sure- next time don't be an arrogant ass.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You should have then said, "Okay. Your game. Your rules."

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...I'm thinking I should have said, "Okay. Your game. Your rules. I raise."

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It is still the flop betting. Smooth call and raise the 'turn'. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Never even considered the strategy of betting with two rounds. What a better place to slow-play then when there are no cards between rounds....
Old 05-12-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The turn card gave you trips, no? I don't understand your statement about outs for the river. Maybe I'm missing something.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was outs for the turn. (We were still on the flop betting round. Fourth street was exposed early.)

Before the exposed card, I was looking at 7 to 1 odds to catch what I viewed to be 5 outs against a very aggressive better (I was wrong, as he already had 2 pair). That's an easy call for me against this player. With the 3 exposed, it can no longer come on the turn, so my outs are reduced to 4. I now had a much more difficult decision, and I decided to fold. The 3 will then get shuffled into the deck, and it will be available to hit again on the river. The problem is, by that time, the pot odds are probably no longer there against a big bet to hit a 5 outer.

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I've learned is that you can't fight city hall at a home poker game. You tried to sell them on the correct rule, but you got overruled. Stay in the hand and play it with the extra information you have. Later, try to explain the reason for the rule they are not following. I don't know what else you could do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm relatively new to home poker games, and this is a very good one. It has taken me a very long time to learn to "not tap the aquarium", so to speak, and I feel like this has been the most improved part of my game over the past six months or so. This is the first time I've ever encountered such an instance. I got angry as a result, as I felt my reputation was being questioned for even suggesting such a rule. I learned a long time ago to not get angry at a poker table, but preventing "sportsmanship" anger is a much different beast than preventing anger from people who refuse to follow the rules. It was a new situation for me, and it was also hopefully a lesson learned.

Thanks for your response.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's sad to me that I've worked so hard at not being an arrogant ass at the poker table only to find that other arrogant asses still call me an arrogant ass at the slightest provocation. I said I messed up, and I asked for advice. What more could you want?
Old 05-12-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's sad to me that I've worked so hard at not being an arrogant ass at the poker table only to find that other arrogant asses still call me an arrogant ass at the slightest provocation. I said I messed up, and I asked for advice. What more could you want?

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on your OP, I'd say you have more work to do in that area.

Based on some of your replies here, I'd say you may not REALIZE that you have more work to do.

Take it as you choose.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on your OP, I'd say you have more work to do in that area.

Based on some of your replies here, I'd say you may not REALIZE that you have more work to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me like I'm not alone.

How would you react to being called a cheater when the exact goal I was trying to accomplish was to avoid cheating?

I guess I'll never understand what makes it okay for other people to be arrogant asses.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How would you react to being called a cheater when the exact goal I was trying to accomplish was to avoid cheating?

I guess I'll never understand what makes it okay for other people to be arrogant asses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I was going to say that your OP never said anyone but YOU making any kind of cheating reference, indirect or not, but I can see that it probably won't matter
[ QUOTE ]
Beyond that, I am at a loss.

[/ QUOTE ]
so never mind.

At least you seem to be consistant.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:36 PM

I don't see BJK as being too much of an arrogant ass, but I do think that the way he handled the OP situation could have been better.

I also don't see Larry as being an arrogant ass, but I concede that his posting style can come across that way sometimes to the target.

FWIW
Old 05-13-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also don't see Larry as being an arrogant ass

[/ QUOTE ]

Right- I'm not arrogant about being an ass.