Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Are my pot odds calcuations correct?

I am playing UTG on a quite loose starting hand ranged table.

PART 1
I am dealt QJ and I raise. I do this because I know that some will fold but alot WILL call. QJ wins 33% of the time against 4 opponets, and I feel like their range is probably lower than QJ on average.

4 Players call and the flop is 8-4-2. Now, I have two overcards and the pot is at .48 cents. Two people check in front of me and I decided to raise. I do this to try to knock out someone who might be playing Kx Ax. At this point, I am betting 10-1 pot odds, with an 3-1 chance to pair a card that I believe will give me best hand. Two people fold and two call behind me. Is this a good move?

PART 2
The turn comes up A, I am checked to, I check, and player behind me checks.

River is another A. I feel if someone had the A, at this game, they would have bet on turn and so I raise. One player calls. Was this correct?

RESULTS
The other player had an 8 as hole card, and beat me with a pair of Aces and Eights. Should I have read that he had at least a pair throughout this?
Old 05-12-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Are my pot odds calcuations correct?

PS. Playing on bodog, I cant find a good hand conversion tool, does anyone know of one that works with Bodog? Google came up short.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:48 PM

I can honestly say I don't know what to make of this post or how to respond. You're all over the place.

QJ wins 33% of the time against 4 opponents? Huh?

When you bet the flop you're not getting 10:1 from the pot, it's more like 5:1 (5 bets in, and you're betting 1). How do you get that you have a 3:1 chance to pair up, and what makes you think that will give you the best hand?

Don't include results, they don't matter.

Oh, and don't say "raise" when what you mean is "bet." It's annoying.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:12 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] This would be clearer if I had more experience with poker and its forums, or a good way to convert hands to text.

Well ... my stat "QJ wins 33% of the time agaisnt 4 ooponets" is from a source that was given to me, this http://www.beatthefish.com/poker-str...ker-hands.html

It is a raw stat of out of 100 hands, qj winds 33% of the time against all hands. Of course, those stats decrease as players are more likely to fold out with worse hands and stay with better. But, as I said, this table was very loose and I dont give them much credit for having a healthy preflop starting hand range.

If the pot is .48(lets say 50) and I bet .05, doesn't that make my odds 10-1? (.50/.05 =10) Then, feeling that I had two overcards, I have 6 outs. This means from flop to river, I have about a 3-1 chance to pair. Am I totally in left field here?
Old 05-12-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This would be clearer if I had more experience with poker and its forums, or a good way to convert hands to text.

[/ QUOTE ]

The second problem could be solved by spending a little time READING the forum (especially the carefully highlighted FAQ) before you POST on the forum (you regged yesterday).

[ QUOTE ]
Well ... my stat "QJ wins 33% of the time agaisnt 4 ooponets" is from a source that was given to me, this http://www.beatthefish.com/poker-str...ker-hands.html

It is a raw stat of out of 100 hands, qj winds 33% of the time against all hands. Of course, those stats decrease as players are more likely to fold out with worse hands and stay with better. But, as I said, this table was very loose and I dont give them much credit for having a healthy preflop starting hand range.

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't going to have four people playing atc (any two cards), which is what QJ wins 33% of the time against.

[ QUOTE ]
If the pot is .48(lets say 50) and I bet .05, doesn't that make my odds 10-1? (.50/.05 =10) Then, feeling that I had two overcards, I have 6 outs. This means from flop to river, I have about a 3-1 chance to pair. Am I totally in left field here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I missed that you raised preflop. This makes it even less likely that your opponents are playing atc. It's also unlikely that your 6 outs are good, as one of your opponents could easily cold-call you preflop with AQ/AJ/KQ/KJ, so you only have 3 clean outs. If TWO of those hands are out (along with QQ/JJ/Q8/J8/&c.) you're in a heap of trouble. For this reason, overcards are generally counted as only 1.5 outs each. Thinking that overcards are worth full outs will put you in a serious RIO (reverse implied-odds) situation.

Let me give you some advice, not related to this hand (I think any advice you get in this thread with respect to this hand is going to be useless to you): read the forum for a little while, and respond to some other hands before posting your own. This will give you a little better feel for how to post in a manner that WILL be helpful to you.

(fwiw, this will probably be the last nice thing I say to you for a while...no offense, that's just the way things are around here.)
Old 05-12-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am playing UTG .... I am dealt QJ and I raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

a bit loose. i don't mind an open limp utg full ring, but i think a raise is a bit bad. and I don't like the limp if the table is at all aggressive as you'll be apt to have to put in that 2nd bet anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
QJ wins 33% of the time against 4 opponets,

[/ QUOTE ]

i have no idea but i 'spect you'll be getting a very good answer just shortly.

[ QUOTE ]
Two people check in front of me and I decided to raise. I do this to try to knock out someone who might be playing Kx Ax. At this point, I am betting 10-1 pot odds,

[/ QUOTE ]

your giving 11:1 odds to anybody at the table who wants to call. Do you really think betting into 4 other opponents on a whiff is good? granted the flop is pretty dry, but so is the other hands, probably. And what makes you think pairing your hand will make it good. Odds are one of the other hands have a Q or a J and they've probably already paired their kicker.

just check.

[ QUOTE ]
River is another A. I feel if someone had the A, at this game, they would have bet on turn

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty good logic. No one else probably has an A and their afraid to bet their bottom pair. but they aint afraid to call with it. That's what they do.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have read that he had at least a pair throughout this?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have read that players tend to play too many hands and tend to go too far with them. If you'da had that A, the eight woulda called you down anyway. But you didn't. You had a Q and a J and went too far with them.

You won't get much good advice from me, but this one just seemed too easy.

good luck.