Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 05:12 PM

Default stars resource hoh? pokerstarscommunicate.exe

For some reason i'm now having some slight resource issues with pokerstars. Never noticed it before but something's changed today it seems.

the application on my task-manager for pokerstarscommunicate.exe reads between 80-90 cpu usage.

seems related to the lobby. perhaps worse when I open the cashier to check my balance or points earned or something. But, as I said before, never noticed any kind of problem before today.

Now I'm getting weird pauses and connection glitches causing the occasional time-out and this massive CPU usage seems to be the culprit and it does not get any better when I minimize the lobby.

Weird.

I'm going out at this very moment so can't answer any more Q's about it until I get back.
Thought I would get the ball rolling on the discussion to see if anybody else has been having this problem all of a sudden.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: stars resource hoh? pokerstarscommunicate.exe

Do you leave pokerstars running for days at a time? Maybe there is some memory leak where restarting the software would fix it. That's what I have to do with firefox after a while.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: stars resource hoh? pokerstarscommunicate.exe

Just updating here.
I seem to have fixed the problem somehow but I'm not even sure what I did.

I believe the problem might be related to a few days ago when I left my place for awhile and forgot I had left my laptop unplugged and eventually the battery died.

After that, I was getting a couple weird window/pop-up type thingees when I was re-starting "such-and-such client failed to start" (when it appeared to have started just fine), security-software is missing X-component, etc.

I went into task-manager and closed a few random applications that didn't appear to be too necessary as well as closing the applications that had claimed to have the various problems.

This was on about my 4th or 5th try of re-starting and trying different stuff to try to identify the problem.
But doing some of that and THEN re-starting seemed to have taken care of the different 'such-and-such client did not start' messages and ALSO the weird resource-hogging of pokerstarscommunicate.exe

It went from using 80% of cpu on previous tries (often peaking at 100%) to about 2% or less.

Seemed VERY similar to the resource-hog issue I would have on Absolute all the time a couple years ago.

Weird that this issue on Stars came up for me so suddenly and I was actually able to fix it somehow.