Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 10:49 PM

Default How do you feel about these hands?

If someone has the time, could they help me analyize a hand I was stressing about tonight? Also, any tips on how to post these things better?
The game is .03/.05 limit hold 'em

I am BB and dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

ALl fold around the horn except for villian, who calls.
6c-Jc-6d comes down on flop. I bet because it gives me 2-1 pot odds and I feel like my Jacks-up are probably better than the others. He calls. A 4s drops, and I bet again, beleiving that the flush danger is probably out of the way. Villian calls

a 4h come down, I bet, and villian re-raises. Now, the question is, should I have called here? I assumed that because it was such a micro limit he was just trying to muscle me out of the pot, thinking the bluff could be worth it. He showed me his hole cards of 4d-8d and took the pot with a full house.
Could I have read this, or did I just get outdrawn and play this correctly?
Old 05-11-2007, 12:36 AM

Default Re: How do you feel about these hands?

Welcome to nanolimit no fold'em hold'em. You obviously played it correctly on the flop & turn, when your opponent was drawing to his runner runner. And incidentally, you don't bet on the flop because it gives you so & so odds or anything--you bet there because you most likely have the best hand, and until anyone tells you otherwise you just bet it for value. As far as the river goes, I would absolutely make the initial bet--he's going to call with ace high almost every time, as well as underpairs to your jacks up. He may even call with less than that, just to see if you really had it.

But when he raises your river bet, that is where you need to consider the odds the pot is laying you. After he raises the pot sits at 7 big bets, so in order to call profitably you have to believe your opponent is bluffing 1 in 7 times. That's probably not going to be the case, even in nanolimits--I think that you'll more often run into a slowplayed 6 than you will an outright bluff. So I'd go ahead and fold to his river raise & not feel too badly about it, at least until I see indications that he'll bluff raise the river often.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Re: How do you feel about these hands?

Thanks alot for your response. It's obvious that you put time into it, and I *really* appreciate it. Good luck out there!