Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Re: NL25 Video From MSNLer

Ama,

Alright well, as far as specifics, I play poker for a living, meaning I wouldn't make the AQ play if I couldn't justify it. I probably just did a bad job of explaining it due to the fact that I had somebody heavily distracting me throughout the video (I actually misspoke saying "FD" instead of "pair plus draw" and I think I misspoke a few times throughout the vid and the speech was admittedly a bit choppy at points). Some things are feel. It was just a video of me playing poker, and you automatically turn it into an issue of correct or incorrect instead of asking questions to understand my point of view and then discuss from there. The way you talk about efficiency and looking to make the "correct" play suggests you take a very structured approach to the game, which is a large difference between you and I. Not everybody is waiting for great hands to put money in the middle in decent sized pots, and not everybody is going to be as conservative as you. I'm not saying this to mean "not everybody=me", but to say I'm looking to mix it up with the players who aren't as conservative. Of course, I don't know you, and I may be wrong, but I'd be extremely shocked if you weren't a conservative player no matter what the circumstances at the table from the way you're talking (please don't take that as an insult). Seems like you approach the game playing not to lose which is probably why the video made you uncomfortable and seemed "fundamental[ly" flawed and "inefficient". If I would've had my way it would've been a variance fest and an all out chip throwing war with us hopefully coming out a buy in or two ahead. That's when poker for me is fun. Though I used to be very conservative, I don't play the game to try and grind out a small but steady profit anymore, I play to culvtivate dynamics, get involved in decisions I have to think through, and play big pots. It's No Limit Hold 'Em; I want to put all the money I have at the table in the middle whenever I think I've got even a slight edge. I'm not saying that approach is the right one or the wrong one, I'm just trying to explain to you the way I've to think about the game because so far I'm of the opinion that it's drastically different than the way you do. BTW, the AQ hand actually wasn't about building an image, but more about already getting involved with "billjclinton" since we had raised like every hand since he was at the table and he was single tabling. The idea of the video is to take the approach of "here's my hand, put some chips in if you want to show me better". And also, you're not the first person to worry that this video will be misused as you say. Why are you guys worrying about that? Sorry you tried to play a looser style once and it cost you a few buyins if that's what has you saying this.

Adam

Oh and also, I hope you don't take that response as any kind of flame or anything like that because that's not at all how it was meant.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:35 AM

Adam

Please upload the original 1h40 referred to earlier, audio synch problems and all. I promise not to squander buyins trying to copy it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2007, 03:35 PM

i think this was solid gold, but much too short. please make a long one. or many. i think that vids like this would really help a lot of people, but if it's "too early" for some to really "get it", it would be spewage.

anyways thanks and i'm really looking forward to the next installment.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:15 PM

Posting so i can find this thread, but yeh, cool vid, look forward to more.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:05 AM

This was an interesting video - not quite as earth shattering as people made me think it would be, but none the less your preflop play was a little different(a longer video is a good idea cus you only have about 20 mins of play here). As you said, your postflop play is whats going to make the difference here... stimulating action with any hand looking to get value when you outflop people, looking to get away cheap when your beat, playing in position... Building an image that gets called down w/ weak hands... switching gears when you start to catch too much heat, and generally keeping the enemy guessing.

I play pretty LAG myself and I think this works great, especially against small stacks, obviously we are looking to get full stacks here but busting short stacks is a nice way to make some extra $$ - they are looking for action and are usually willing to gamble with marginal hands. If you double up a short stack its not the end of the world either as you were saying.

Now on to your tell "he insta-checked on the river when a blank came up" (AQ hand) doesnt really work for me. I actually find that a lot of the time an instacheck is the opponent trying to act weak when they have a solid hand. Last night after watching your video I had a few hands get beat in such a fashion - instacheck on the river on a blank, betting there is usually throwing money away for me unless I have a real hand. Then again I only play 5NL so perhaps the play is a little different at 25NL. - Also you are a much better player then me so your read on other streets had a lot to do with it.

Also, I like the (your?) approach to not playing a bazzillion tables. I only recently got a HUD so I dont rely on it for reads that much - the stats are interesting and a good supplement. I usually like to start off with 1 table, when I start to get bored fire up a second... I'm getting to where I can probably handle a third if things really get slow, but if I'm at a particularly good table and I'm getting into a lot of hands then I may just back down to 1 table again... also when I start to get tired towards the end of my session I like to get down to 1 table, if I'm behind or something at a table I might focus on that one.

Anyhow - good video, interesting thread... I just thought I'd add some comments if anyone was still interested in talking about this video / play style.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:24 PM

bump
Old 06-29-2007, 12:20 AM

I call level on this whole thread, I'm with Ama on the fact that some of the plays were far too -EV to be justified. Aba made a CR video a few back showing how he creates this kind of image and action, and shows how he manages it without putting himself as few -EV spots as possible.
I agree with the concept, but this takes it too far at the micros, where people give you action anyways. If you want action from the TAGs, just find some spots to 3bet them light and they get frustrated pretty quick. IDK, I just have this brilliant image of loads of uNL players trying to emulate this without your postflop experience and becoming very -EV.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:50 AM

Nice vid, loved it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

One thing bothers me, what bankroll do you have to maintain to sustain this play? I have big doubts that 40BI would be enough, I would imagine that 5-8 BI downswings are pretty common.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:44 AM

Tryed some of your stuff on one of the tables [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Should not have [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It works very well, I suppose I just dont read good enough [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Donked off first BI by getting called down on all 3 streets extra lite with bottom pair of fours. But thats fine, a set up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Second time I thought I stacked him (had second nuts flush) but he somehow had an ace high flush. I am hundred percent positive he was stacking off on a 3high flush, so just unlucky. Couple hands later I stacked him though, and now playing 200BB deep in position to a steaming fish [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Beautiful [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But its freaking swingy.

I am loving it though, but its so intensive and BR demanding - omg. But I wanna learn how to play this style, actually poker, not just grinding.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:30 AM

He stacked off completely. 4BI. Awesome.