Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 02:13 PM

Default smart or stupid laydown

I was playing on line limit hold'em. I held a pair of 2s in late position. Someone limped in before me. I called. Usually with low pairs, I am a strict fit or fold player. Small blind folded. Big blind stayed. Total 3 players.
Flop comes 5 5 5 Everyone checks. Some spot card comes on the turn. Everyone checks again. An Ace comes on the river. Somebody bets. (I don't remember which one)
I fold my full house.(22555) I figure I am probably beat to a better one.

I have a feeling that in NL this would have been correct. But that perhaps I may have been mistaken in limit.

Also, I am thinking that whenever I see 3 suited on board I should assume I need to beat a flush. Is that a reasonable estimate.

Thanks for advice.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: smart or stupid laydown

Don't take my word as gospel because i've only been playing for 6 months, but I think it was a good lay down, you may have odds to call but there's far to many hands out there beating you. As for the flush I think most opponents will be as scared of the board as you, so I like to represent it myself if I get a caller unless I have trips on the flop i'm done with the hand.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:39 PM

Should of added that I would of bet on the 555 flop to find out where you stood, knowing the turn and river will be overcards to you pair.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing on line limit hold'em. I held a pair of 2s in late position. Someone limped in before me. I called. Usually with low pairs, I am a strict fit or fold player. Small blind folded. Big blind stayed. Total 3 players.

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless you expect several players to enter the pot, you don't have odds to play for set value. With one more limper in front of you in a loose game, a call is fine. Otherwise, fold.

In some cases, when an aggressive player makes a steal-raise in front of you, you can reraise (resteal) with a small pair, hoping to get heads-up and win with a bet on the flop or turn. However, 22 is too weak for this. Fold.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop comes 5 5 5 Everyone checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last to act, you should bet and hope everyone folds. Your hand is extremely vulnerable and you have to bet to protect it. If you get check-raised, you can pitch it.

[ QUOTE ]
Some spot card comes on the turn. Everyone checks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was another chance to take the pot by betting.

[ QUOTE ]
An Ace comes on the river. Somebody bets. (I don't remember which one)
I fold my full house.(22555) I figure I am probably beat to a better one.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't certain, but the bettor likely does have an ace and the pot is tiny, so you have to fold.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I am thinking that whenever I see 3 suited on board I should assume I need to beat a flush. Is that a reasonable estimate.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. If you have many opponents and there is a lot of action, it is more reasonable. However, aggressive opponents may be betting and raising with a single big card of that suit. Also, a player with top-pair or an overpair may be desperately trying to protect his hand. A big hand like a set is also correct to jam a single-suited flop.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:00 PM

uDevil put it a lot better than I did, good advice.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:22 PM

This was an insanely easy fold, although a strong argument could be made for you to bet the flop and/or turn.

In limit hold'em, most of your decisions are going to be based on pot odds: what odds is the pot laying you? In this instance, by the time the river bet is made the pot sits at only 2.5 big bets; in order to make that call, you have to be confident that not only is the bettor bluffing (because all you can beat is a stone bluff), but that the third player doesn't have any pair at least 40% of the time. That is almost never going to be the case; a good guideline is to assume that an unknown player is capable of bluffing around 10% of the time.

As far as seeing 3 suited on the board, take into account the action you've seen in the hand. If you're holding Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], the flop comes Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and the action before you goes bet/raise/3bet, then it's pretty safe to assume that someone has a flush (or at least that you are soundly beaten). On the other hand, let's say you're holding A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and you've gotten it heads up vs. one other opponent on a board of A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. If he then bets into you when the 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] falls on the river, you should at least call every single time--first, because the pot should be fairly big by now, second because you have a strong hand (top two pair), and third because it is so unlikely that he's hit a runner runner flush.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:10 PM

As played laydown was good. Udevil and Harv have already given some great advice beyond that.