Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Razz - am I supposed to jam on 5th?

Not sure why I didn't raise on 4th. He would have obviously called. That was stupid.

Anyhoo, the jam on 5th is correct, right? What if he'd caught a 7 instead of the 9? Just call the reraise?

Alas, the poker gods didn't smile upon me though. Is a call automatic on 7th with that large a pot? Just couldn't see how I'd be good there but of course I'd rather lose a bet than a huge pot.

Razz ($2/$4), Ante $0.40, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.85 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.93 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises

6th Street - (10.93 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

River - (12.93 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

Total pot: (12.93 BB - $51.70)
Old 05-11-2007, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Razz - am I supposed to jam on 5th?

Yeah, raise fourth. I'd raise fifth, but only call the three-bet. There's no reason he can't have a smooth draw.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:10 AM

There is no point in capping on 5th. I would just call 5th, having flat called 4th, as you probably are a slight dog or a favorite by not a huge margin. You get reraises when you are behind, and you let your opponent know that you have two wheel cards in the hole. This makes it easier for him get away in some situations and easier to read that you paired.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no point in capping on 5th. I would just call 5th, having flat called 4th, as you probably are a slight dog or a favorite by not a huge margin. You get reraises when you are behind, and you let your opponent know that you have two wheel cards in the hole. This makes it easier for him get away in some situations and easier to read that you paired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you make the temper-tantrum call on 7th with the J-high? Or is this one of those spots where there's no way you can be good and you gotta' lay down even though the pot is large?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is very sound advice.

Jamming sure is fun, but it can be very costly when it lets your opponent make a nice laydown on 5th or 6th when he would have paid you off if you had not convinced him you had a smooth draw on 5th.

You should definitely raise 4th though, as your value is very high and you can actually raise with quite a wide distribution there (because you can tentatively assume, imo, that your opponent has 9 or worse down based on his 3rd street flat call).
Old 05-11-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a spot where a cap is MANDATORY, but probably +EV. There are a lot of factors at play here, but it boils down to the fact that this is 2/4 and you have a J showing. If you make your hand, you're getting paid off.

If you want to call the river in this hand, please send me $3.95 instead and you'll come out ahead.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to call the river in this hand, please send me $3.95 instead and you'll come out ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Exactly what I needed to hear.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Exactly what I needed to hear.

[/ QUOTE ]
Given the 5th street action, there is no way you are ahead on the river.