Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When considering hands for low purposes only (and with no qualifier on low) which is the better low
Player A with AA234 30 57.69%
Player B with KK234 22 42.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Dare I say it

[ QUOTE ]

a) On a hand with a pretty straightforward answer, a $50 player can provide almost as much insight as a $500 player. Basically, while I feel strongly about giving back to the forum and trying to help out, I don't think that explaining why cold-calling a 5x UTG raise with KQ in a 4/180 is incorrect is the best way for MLG to give back.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good point.

Even though these hands are elementary to the advanced players, us smaller stakes players really need to talk about these decisions in order to cement the proper strategies into our game. But this is a waste of time for the advanced players.

The answer to this type of question can be provided by a wide range of posters. Splitting the forums would create a pecking order that better matches the supply/demand of knowledge.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:17 AM

Micro here ... would love to see a split
Old 05-11-2007, 10:17 AM

Nice to see you expect to get responses from all levels. I concur.

As a lower buy-in player, I will continue to contribute/reap to/from the forum either way.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:49 AM

A split will benefit inexperienced low stakes players like me so I'm for it.

The first time I posted a hand it was gone to page 2 after about a minute and this is partly why it got no replies.

Right now there is just too much traffic and too much diversity in the subjects of the posts, and obviously it must also be extremely frustrating for high stakes players.

I'm very surprised the idea is meeting resistance from mods.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:16 AM

Just adding another voice from the non-elite masses that would like a split as well. I normally play $10-50 MTTs, with the occasional bigger one, and I play live $20-200, and have played the WSOP ME. I think the SSMTT forum would be fantastic at improving my results at my current game, and the HSMTT forum would be fantastic to pull in deeper thought concepts that are necessary, both to fully develop as a player, and to best compete in the rare $320 or $10K live event.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:03 PM

All,
I apologize for the tone last night. Yesterday was very likely one of the worst days in the past few years, culminating in a boston cop knocking on my apartment door and telling me that someone smashed my car window and stole my GPS. So I am sorry for the tone.

Anyhoo... back to business. I do still think a split is bad, if anything it is a situation where I *feel* a split is bad. With all the other splits I was very gung ho and thought they would be great, however, with this one I am not sure. That alone gives me a lot of pause when it comes to this. There are a few things I would like to see if this happened and if these didn't happen then I would ask Andy and Brian to recommend with me that the plug be pulled on the forum.

-Traffic stays close to what it currently is in MTTs (Low)
-Traffic is of reasonable volume in HSMTT

If you guys can do that then I will talk to Andy and Brian and see if we can give it a try.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,
I apologize for the tone last night. Yesterday was very likely one of the worst days in the past few years, culminating in a boston cop knocking on my apartment door and telling me that someone smashed my car window and stole my GPS. So I am sorry for the tone.

Anyhoo... back to business. I do still think a split is bad, if anything it is a situation where I *feel* a split is bad. With all the other splits I was very gung ho and thought they would be great, however, with this one I am not sure. That alone gives me a lot of pause when it comes to this. There are a few things I would like to see if this happened and if these didn't happen then I would ask Andy and Brian to recommend with me that the plug be pulled on the forum.

-Traffic stays close to what it currently is in MTTs (Low)
-Traffic is of reasonable volume in HSMTT

If you guys can do that then I will talk to Andy and Brian and see if we can give it a try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the apology and thoughtful consideration, Justin. Very sorry to hear about the bad day and burglary. Just think it all could have been avoided if you'd come to Foxwoods.... :-)

I'm curious to know what kind of benchmark you/the powers that be would consider good traffic and participation in a HSMTT forum. How many quality threads started per day? How many average views per thread? How many responses? Etc.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:10 PM

It would be views not threads. As one troll could start like 50 threads.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be views not threads. As one troll could start like 50 threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence my specification of "quality" threads. But OK, if views is the number people will be looking at, how many views will you/they want to see per thread?
Old 05-11-2007, 01:56 PM

I think it's a travesty that (relatively) many high-stakes MTT hands end up being posted in HSNL forum. I myself don't post much if any strat, but I have found it more useful to read advice, HH discussions, etc, from higher-than-I-play stakes.

I think this split will be beneficial in the following ways:
---More high-buyin live hands
---More "theorish" posts in HSMTT
---Less runoff to HSNL forums
---Bring back some posters that stopped posting MTT strat altogether
---Hopefully some posts from the "name pros" (no evidence for this)
---Bond18 as a mod

The alleged downside is:
---Two low-traffic forums instead of one medium-traffic forum
---High-stakes players not giving back to the community by giving advice to low-stakes questioneers (debatable)
---Bond18 as a mod
Closed Thread