Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: 60 days of losing

[ QUOTE ]
This is live playing 10-13 hours a day

[/ QUOTE ]

You are doing something drastically wrong in your approach. You should seek the help of a coach.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think my problem has more to do with playing and overthinking each hand. When i worked a fulltime job i played the game naturally. Now, everytime i place a bet i think of my mortgage payments and you cant win thinking this way. Still have a decent size roll after years of playing partime. Gonna take some time off and see if i can get my mind screwed on straight. The other thing i can do is go back working fulltime and playing partime poker.

[ QUOTE ]
I then gave it some thought and I realized that it was difficult for me to play when I was facing a big bet and I looked down and thought, hmm if I called that I'd be calling away my mortgage for the month (if I ever think that when playing any more I get up and leave since my head just isn't in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the problem. You think about the mortgage payment at the table.

I quit my job 16 months ago. My wife loves her job and I have a military retirement, so all I have to come up with for expenses is 1/2 the food bill and money for my clothes and misc.
I started with an 8k bankroll for 10/20 Limit, so I had a float. Plus I had put a little over 4k in a Roth IRA that had grown, for the purpose of eventually buying a new car for myself.
So, I have never thought about the chips as money since I quit my job.
I don't even keep track of how much I'm up during a session. I buy in for $500 and put them in 4 stack of $125.00.
If I win the first hand I get involved in, I then make 5 even stacks for the purpose of tracking the high point of my win and go from there.
When I'm up $500, I have an idea of how much I'm up, but the only thing I know for certain: How much I'm stuck from my high.
I cannot imagine trying to play poker knowing I have to earn this month's mortgage, this month.
From what I have read in various books, it seems the proper bankroll is a minimum of 300 BBs and 6 months living expenses.
You need to go back to work.

The other thing: I can't imagine playing poker 10 hrs a day, five days a week. What a grind.
That would be $1500 pr week based on 1.5 BBs an hr, but it would be such a grind that I'd eventually crack.

Monday: Golf during the day. Evening with the wife.
Tuesday: Golf during the day. 10/20 in the evening for 6 hrs.
Wednesday: Golf during the day. Evening with the wife.
Thursday: Golf during the day. 10/20 in the evening for 6 hrs.
Friday: Poker noon till no later than midnight.
Saturday: Start out with the wife. Poker 4pm to 10pm or so.
Sunday: With the wife.

What a great life.....even when I don't win for 3-4 weeks straight.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:55 PM

Im not great player like Phil Ivey but i do play a decent game. I just couldnt buy a hand during this stretch.

[ QUOTE ]
As emerson points out, it's unrealistic to believe the original poster is a winning player at this level. A break-even player may have a 50/50 chance of being behind after 60 days, but it's a quintillion-to-1 shot that he has 60 straight losing days due to "bad luck" (i.e. variance).

Even a very bad player is extremely unlikely to see 60 straight losing days. For example, a really horrible 20/40 player who loses 5BB/hr and has an hourly standard deviation of 15BB/hr will be approx 32500:1 to have 60 straight losing 10hr sessions.

It's much more likely that the poster is going out of his way to lose or that the post is a fraud.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-10-2007, 10:18 PM

playing live different than online, more passive so narrow value raises aren't valuable any more.

do that for 60 days and you'll lose for 60 days (well, expect to anyways)

ditto narrow three-bets PF

finally playing 10-13 hrs / day is hard, do that for 60 days and you'll likely lose, not sure about that one though.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Monday: Golf during the day. Evening with the wife.
Tuesday: Golf during the day. 10/20 in the evening for 6 hrs.
Wednesday: Golf during the day. Evening with the wife.
Thursday: Golf during the day. 10/20 in the evening for 6 hrs.
Friday: Poker noon till no later than midnight.
Saturday: Start out with the wife. Poker 4pm to 10pm or so.
Sunday: With the wife.

What a great life.....even when I don't win for 3-4 weeks straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds great except for all that wife time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2007, 10:48 PM

I also considered the post a fraud. If it's not my apology to OP, but I would think you could play every hand dealt to you every day, say, at least to the turn, and then try to make your best decision from there, and not lose sixty days in a row, even if you were quite a poor player.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im not great player like Phil Ivey but i do play a decent game. I just couldnt buy a hand during this stretch.

[ QUOTE ]
As emerson points out, it's unrealistic to believe the original poster is a winning player at this level. A break-even player may have a 50/50 chance of being behind after 60 days, but it's a quintillion-to-1 shot that he has 60 straight losing days due to "bad luck" (i.e. variance).

Even a very bad player is extremely unlikely to see 60 straight losing days. For example, a really horrible 20/40 player who loses 5BB/hr and has an hourly standard deviation of 15BB/hr will be approx 32500:1 to have 60 straight losing 10hr sessions.

It's much more likely that the poster is going out of his way to lose or that the post is a fraud.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When Roy Cooke first started playing Hold Em, he would read Sklansky's Hold Em for Advanced Players between every session.
It was the only decent book on Hold Em in print at the time.
What do you do between sessions to improve your play?
Old 05-11-2007, 03:50 AM

I understand why some people dont post in this forum. If some of you dont like the post you'll call it a fraud. I didnt come in here saying i won huge money and not sure why people here say im lying

[ QUOTE ]
I also considered the post a fraud.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-11-2007, 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand why some people dont post in this forum. If some of you dont like the post you'll call it a fraud. I didnt come in here saying i won huge money and not sure why people here say im lying

[ QUOTE ]
I also considered the post a fraud.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The reason people are saying that is that it is not possible for a winning player to lose every day for 60 days playing 13 hours a day in a 20/40 live game (if the game is fair).
Old 05-11-2007, 11:20 AM

I also said, "if it's not, my apology to OP."

You posted that you lost 60 days in a row, you're a good player, and asked if this happens to everyone. I don't know any good player who has lost sixty days in a row ever. So that's what made me think the post might not have been made in seriousness.
Closed Thread