Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Re: I have a Set!!!

I had this great post involving raising for information and not risking our entire stack against anyone but UTG. But then I downloaded Pokerstove and it turned out there's just too damn much dead money and we'd have to end up calling anyway.. @(*#&$!

Let's assume the following:
- We're ahead of UTG's range.
- We're behind anyone else if they make another raise on this street.

Those seem pretty reasonable. In this case, it ends up polarizing our actions to raise and fold due to reverse implied odds (I think I'm using this term correctly). When we raise, we define our hand precisely to any set and any straight for those who are capable of working these things out. As such, we are raising with the very bottom of our range, almost effectively bluffing. Of the 5 players left to act, 4 of them will never put more money in without a better hand then ours, and they will never fold any hand better than ours.

That pretty much rules out any normal raise in order to deny odds to a drawing hand. So in my opinion, we need to either shove or fold in this spot. If villain is the gambling type (I'm guessing OP has a feeling for this), then shoving is the right move. If he's the type to try to run over players with aggression, but then backs down in the case of solid players fighting back, then I believe you can fold in this spot and have it be a +EV move when you consider everything in play here.