Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Parenting tip for vegans: please feed the baby vital macronutrient

[ QUOTE ]
There are certain foods that lose nurtritional value from cooking, there are other foods that dont have as much nutritional value if not cooked (because our body cant process it), there are no generaliziations.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to http://www.rawfoods.com/articles/rawfreshproduce.html:

"It is well understood and recognized in scientific literature that heat breaks down vitamins, amino acids and produces undesirable cross-linkages in proteins, particularly in meat. "

Here it seems that heat is prejudice against vitamins, amino acids and proteins, not against certain foods.

It then goes on to say:

"When food is cooked above 117 degrees F for three minutes or longer, the following deleterious changes begin, and progressively cause increased nutritional damage as higher temperatures are applied over prolonged periods of time: ï‚· proteins coagulate, ï‚· high temperatures denature protein molecular structure, leading to deficiency of some essential amino acids, ï‚· carbohydrates caramelize..."

As far as cooking aids in digestion, I've heard that before-that's why I think it's best to juice fruits and vegetables. Though I'd be interested to see a study where they weigh the amount of nutrients lost due to cooking vs the absorbtion rate of raw foods.