Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: A player is cheated when he isn't given more time after exposing his live hand to the table to show
Yes 0 0%
No 47 100.00%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on Changing my Name?

Again we have the situation, where someone is looking for an outside solution for a problem, that is in his inside. (its like girls who feel ugly, then get a boob job or fix their nose and STILL feel ugly) Look, if you could imagine saying your name proud, with confidence and charme - dont you think that you with your current name would stand out in a positive way?
I like "Ariel", and i think its a cool name. If you have a problem pronouncing it yourself, get some voice coaching, which can be great fun, btw. If its the hebrew/jewish background you dont like, try "Mohammed" or "Ali" or "Mustafa".
Old 05-10-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Again we have the situation, where someone is looking for an outside solution for a problem, that is in his inside. (its like girls who feel ugly, then get a boob job or fix their nose and STILL feel ugly) Look, if you could imagine saying your name proud, with confidence and charme - dont you think that you with your current name would stand out in a positive way?
I like "Ariel", and i think its a cool name. If you have a problem pronouncing it yourself, get some voice coaching, which can be great fun, btw. If its the hebrew/jewish background you dont like, try "Mohammed" or "Ali" or "Mustafa".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed the part where his name isn't that bad in a vacuum, only when interacting with others.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:44 AM

i really think there is no difference. When he finds it annoying that others dont understand his name this annoyance is still in his head.
My last name is so complicated that barely anyone can pronounce it, but I think thats funny and not a problem. I would never ever change it, despite the fact that i have to spell it basically every time i say it.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:45 AM

Old 05-10-2007, 11:53 AM

FF,

You have a very nice name, why change it?

Ariel sounds unique.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:58 AM

yah im with gallo you have a pretty cool name

i'd call you ari though. if you change it to something like "mike" or "greg" i'm just going to call you "ultimatewarrior," or maybe "pikachu"
Old 05-10-2007, 12:11 PM

FF,

I might be biased, but F the haters. Keep the name. Is it really that big of a deal? A new name would be too weird. I don't really care what other people think though...
Old 05-10-2007, 12:21 PM

Why don't you just use a nickname when meting new people/leaving reservations. Some like "R?" I have a good friend named Gayitri- pronounced (Guy-three") And she goes by "G"
Old 05-10-2007, 12:26 PM

FF,

There are so many hassles with changing your name. Think about it, every account you have anywhere should be changed.

When my mom married my father, she changed hyphenated her maiden name to my father's surname. This continually caused problems with insurance and other things, so she recently dropped her maiden name. This caused more problems. I can't ennumerate them for you, but they're all over.

My friends all know me as Mike, but my real name is David Michael. It's annoying as hell, especially in smaller size classes at school.

Prof: "David Lxxxxxxx?"
Me: "Here, but I go by Mike."
Prof: "Uhh...?"

I was always intending on changing my first name to D, or flopping my middle and first, but after seeing the hassles my Mom had, I am just going to deal with it.

You'll always be Ariel as I'll always be Mike. Don't change your name, because you'll ultimately feel like I do; I look down at my ID, my report card, my credit card, etc and see a name that isn't mine. It's kind of weird.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:49 PM

As someone who has one of the most popular guys' names in America, I envy you. I don't think you should change your name. I would even go so far as to say that "Ari" is a really badass name and is so simple that it shouldn't be hard at all for people to get. I even think that people will have an easier time remembering you than a David, John, or James because of your cool, unique name.

Like a lot of others have said, say your name with pride and confidence. I think that really makes a world of difference.

Best of luck.