Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 06:26 AM

Default Re: War Against the Bots

[ QUOTE ]
Just reading all these threads, I've been thinking. It seems like one common theme of all these bots is that bots operated by the same person never play at the same table together. It would be really easy to query your PT DB to select the screennames of players with >x amount of hands played that have never been at the same table. As long as x was large enough, this would likely give you something to start working with and pretty easy to drill down to criteria similar to what sukittrebek posted in the first place. As the resident sql guy, if people want this, i could probably rig it up in the next day or two.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great idea. May I suggest you name your script "Witch hunt" ?
Old 05-10-2007, 09:01 AM

If I had a nickel for every time someone accused me of being a bot...

Lost Wages
Old 05-10-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How on earth are you gonna convince this bot owner that playing at site X is -EV without building some sort of convoluted interface that pushes away any sane human player? For the life of me, I can't think of what this "effective action" would be.

Assume any bot that's making $175/day is probably part of a bot farm, so the owner's probably making closer to $2k/day.

You're going to have to be very persuasive to convince this guy to walk away from his $500k+ annual paycheck.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the cost of prison? Is criminal justice a suitable deterrant to potential criminal activity?
Old 05-10-2007, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, they should be identified publicly and turned over to the feds. Those should be easy prosecutions.

[/ QUOTE ]

under what law? not to mention jurisdiction.

Spam email is a good analogy I guess but only recently was it criminalized or civil penalties introduced into law or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Common fraud law. That is the fallback of white collar crime prosecution. Plus, there is also civil law in that they are violating the terms and conditions of the sites. Would the major sites receive negative publicity for actually bringing such a suit? Short term, yes; long term, they would benefit. Better yet, bring the suit in the English or Gilbraltar courts and force the defendent either to show or try them in abstentia and then extradite. Extradition works both ways.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, they should be identified publicly and turned over to the feds. Those should be easy prosecutions.

[/ QUOTE ]

under what law? not to mention jurisdiction.

Spam email is a good analogy I guess but only recently was it criminalized or civil penalties introduced into law or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Common fraud law. That is the fallback of white collar crime prosecution. Plus, there is also civil law in that they are violating the terms and conditions of the sites. Would the major sites receive negative publicity for actually bringing such a suit? Short term, yes; long term, they would benefit. Better yet, bring the suit in the English or Gilbraltar courts and force the defendent either to show or try them in abstentia and then extradite. Extradition works both ways.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have USA ever extradited anyone who's an american citizen?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well under your theory of how the law works then why don't you sue someone who you strongly suspect of cheating/botting and who you've played with and claim has defrauded you.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How on earth are you gonna convince this bot owner that playing at site X is -EV without building some sort of convoluted interface that pushes away any sane human player? For the life of me, I can't think of what this "effective action" would be.

Assume any bot that's making $175/day is probably part of a bot farm, so the owner's probably making closer to $2k/day.

You're going to have to be very persuasive to convince this guy to walk away from his $500k+ annual paycheck.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the cost of prison? Is criminal justice a suitable deterrant to potential criminal activity?

[/ QUOTE ]

Criminal penalties might work...but you are missing a very important step in the legal system: Putting laws on the books to make bots illegal.

As it stands right now, a bot owner could manage his bot farm from inside the District Attorney's office and there's nothing they would do.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:15 PM

I think it would be better if sites doesn't allow players to access hand histories. No PokerTracker, no PAHUD, no gametime. That would difficult programmers work on making bots.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Some of the 'Guerilla warfare' methods mentioned in your OP have the potential to cause damages to persons other then the botters.

[/ QUOTE ]

The AntiChrist has advocated nuclear strikes that would kill tens of thousands of people who most rational folk would consider 'innocents'. I am quite sure he does not care if 'non-botters' are harmed by his suggested 'guerilla tactics'.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:23 PM

StalkerBob,

Long time. Back to your old habits eh?