Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 03:46 AM

Default Connection-specific DNS Suffix

How do I get rid/change of this? I believe it's being assigned to my computers from my router, yet I've searched high and low for where this setting is and I can't find it anywhere.

I've got a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that provides dynamic addresses to my home network. It gets its address from my SBC DSL connection.

it's really annoying because it shows a dns suffix from an OLD cable internet connection I used to have (kc.rr.com) but since I moved I'm using sbc dsl and not roadrunner cable internet. It's really annoying, please help!

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2007, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Connection-specific DNS Suffix

Push the little pinhole button on your router to reset to factory settings.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:53 AM

Found this on MS site:
To configure the primary DNS suffix for a client computer
Open System in Control Panel.
Click the Computer Name tab.
This tab displays the computer name, the workgroup or domain to which it belongs, and a brief description of the computer.
Click Change, and then click More.
In DNS Suffix and NetBIOS Computer Name, do the following:
For Primary DNS suffix of this computer, specify the DNS suffix to be appended to the name of this computer when completing its fully qualified domain name (FQDN).
After applying these changes, restart the computer to initialize it with its new DNS domain name.
If the computer has been previously installed and configured as a DNS server, verify that zone authority records are updated.
These include the start of authority (SOA) and name server (NS) resource records, substituting the new FQDN to replace the single label name previously in use. For more information, see Related Topics.
Notes

Performing this task does not require you to have administrative credentials. Therefore, as a security best practice, consider performing this task as a user without administrative credentials.

To open System, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. In Control Panel, double-click System.

For more information about how to configure the primary DNS suffix for other clients and servers, see the applicable TCP/IP or DNS documentation provided by the appropriate vendor for your other clients.

By default, the primary DNS suffix portion of a computer's FQDN is the same as the name of the Active Directory domain to which the computer is joined. To allow different primary DNS suffixes, a domain administrator can create a restricted list of allowed suffixes by modifying the msDS-AllowedDNSSuffixes attribute in the domain object container. This attribute is managed by the domain administrator using Active Directory Service Interfaces (ADSI) or the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP).

If it is formatted a little weird it was the first hit when I googled "Primary DNS Suffix".
Old 05-09-2007, 08:29 AM

you could try uninstalling and reinstalling tcp/ip under you network connection.

you might have to uninstall your whole network connection. maybe google it.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:34 PM

Hi guys,

I tried changing the Primary DNS suffix of my machine as suggested by kerowo. It made it so my "Full computer name" (FQDN) was changed however when I go to ipconfig in a cmd window, i still see the old 'kc.rr.com' as the Connection Specific DNS Suffix.

I also uninstalled my network card and reinstalled it (effectively the same as PLOlover suggested) -- unfortunately no dice there.

And lastly, Rhett, I pressed the factory reset button on my router as you suggested and I went through re-installing the software that comes with it. Still kc.rr.com shows up in my ipconfig.

I've tried googling but I can't find anyone else having this problem. Perhaps my googling skills suck. I'm pretty sure it's my router though because if I plug my machine directly into the DSL connection, the CS DNS Suffix is different.

so frustrating.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:39 PM

What exactly is this suffix doing that is causing you problems? My first thought, before finding that page, was you are pointing to the wrong DNS server on the router, then I realized that I had no idea what a DNS Suffix does.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:34 PM

I'm thinking when you go to the "More" screen on the "Change computer name" window, that you might need to uncheck the box that says something like "change suffix when domain changes".

Kerowo: The DNS suffix is what is appended to your computer name to give you your FQDN. So my computer is named "computer" and my dns suffix is "awesome.com"...this makes my FQDN computer.awesome.com.

In a domain setting, the domain suffix is almost always the full DNS name of the domain.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What exactly is this suffix doing that is causing you problems? My first thought, before finding that page, was you are pointing to the wrong DNS server on the router, then I realized that I had no idea what a DNS Suffix does.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not really causing me a problem per se, other than just the sheer annoyance of it all.

I'm not even connecting to a domain, my local home network is a workgroup. Its just silly for me to keep seeing kc.rr.com when i do an ipconfig when i KNOW i'm not connecting through it.

I dont really even understand what it does either. Obv it can't be that important because my network and internet connection is working fine despite this dns suffix.

I've searched high and low on google and I made a post in the Linksys forums, but no luck there.

Thanks for everyones thoughts on this.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:18 PM

You might try searching through the registry looking for that string and see if some app installed by your previous carrier wasn't very nice about cleaning up after itself.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you could try uninstalling and reinstalling tcp/ip under you network connection.

you might have to uninstall your whole network connection. maybe google it.

[/ QUOTE ]

on mine I can't uninstall tcp/ip because thats the only thing I have. I'm thinking maybe install netbui so you have netbui and tcp/ip and then you can uninstall tcp/ip leaving you with just netbui and then you can reinstall tcp/ip.

you can also google how to rebuild your tcp/ip stack or something if you really wanted to.

why dont you just go into your tcp/ip properties and under advanced properties > dns tab there is a bunch of stuff like "register this connections addresses in dns" and "append primary and connection specific dns suffixes"