FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: KQo
raise 38 71.70%
fold 11 20.75%
call 4 7.55%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2007, 12:38 AM

Default Re: NL Bots on Full Tilt

I don't generally post, but the level of stupidity in this thread in actually amusing me.
let me get this correct... it is possible to write a simple system for a bot that will result in it having very similar stats across different samples, however if you give this system to real people to follow then their stats will differ? obv there is gonna be some human error, however assuming a simple system this is gonna be very minor over 100k hands.
yes, postflop is more complicated than preflop, however playing 14/7 at FR you are not gonna be in all that many marginal situations at 1/2nl (I would imagine) and most situations you are gonna have a pretty clear cut answer to (eg. top pair/overpair/set -> push, else fold). this would also help to explain why the agg numbers, esp. flop, are so high.

people saying - wow, how could the stats be the same over 100k hands as if the more hands you have, the more you would expect the stats to differ? try thinking about 2 100k hand samples and 2 100 hand samples and try to figure out which sets are gonna be more similar...

pretty much all of their explanation seems plausable to me.
whats so unbelievable about a group of guys who decide that rather than getting another job, they can do poker as a 'conventional job' where they play a fairly low varience, unexciting, but profitable form of poker, and don't have to answer to anyone else (except 2+2 obv, lol). sure it's not what most people would choose to do. it's not what I would choose. however everyone has different goals in life, and if they're happy with that and it meets their needs, fair enough to them. they motivate themselves to put the hours in by playing together at set times, which can also help to give structure to their life (by which I mean it puts poker more towards the 'conventional job' of working from x to x every weekday, then forgetting about it outside of those times).

in summary: vanveen and a few other msnl's appear to be the only people in this thread who put any thought into what they're saying. bluffthis, you appear to have some intelligence but be trying to stir things up for no reason. almost all of the rest of you sound like you should still be in school.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
people saying - wow, how could the stats be the same over 100k hands as if the more hands you have, the more you would expect the stats to differ? try thinking about 2 100k hand samples and 2 100 hand samples and try to figure out which sets are gonna be more similar...

[/ QUOTE ]

You are confusing two concepts, and actually making the argument for bots not against them.

Only two computers/people that play EXACTLY alike in ALL instances could have stats so close over that big a sample.

The argument those of us that play poker are making is that no one person could even replicate their own stats over two 100K hand samples, and definitely not two individual people with different tilt tendencies, emotional responses, etc etc.

Mark
Old 05-10-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are confusing two concepts, and actually making the argument for bots not against them.

Only two computers/people that play EXACTLY alike in ALL instances could have stats so close over that big a sample.

The argument those of us that play poker are making is that no one person could even replicate their own stats over two 100K hand samples, and definitely not two individual people with different tilt tendencies, emotional responses, etc etc.

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

however, if you make the following assumptions:
1) their 'playbook' is very simple, doesn't extend to much thinking beyond the strength of their hand and basic flop texture, then most situations will have a clearcut answer
2) in some rare situations where they're not sure, they have a quick 'groupthink'/choose a random action
3) they are disciplined enough to follow the same system and make very few mistakes/deviations from the system

is it not unreasonable for them to all have very similar stats?

I am not saying this proves they are not bots - only that it doesn't say anything either way, except that an explanation for this could very likely be that all accounts are playing by the same simple system (regardless of whether the actions are carried out by a bot or a human).