Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Re: The best day/night in your life

I'm in the wedding camp. outside of that, I once played a gig that was so much fun I felt like I was floating afterwards. really amazing experience, never happened to me before or since.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stake,
Please tell your story in more detail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's a very long story, spanning over the last 8 years. I'll make it brief though:

I first met her in 1998, on yahoo chat. It was totally random and the odds of it happening (through the series of circumstances that allowed me to actually be on that computer at that time) were about nil.

We started talking and immediately felt a connection. Over the next month we'd start chatting more and more, and we eventually fell in love (didn't take too long).

Over the following 2 years we would talk pretty much everyday for hours.

After that something happened in our lives and we had to split up for a while.

Fast forward a few years later, and through another weird set of circumstances we got together again, online of course. Then in the summer of that year (2005), I went to New Zealand to meet her for the first time, for a month. Was the best time of our lives, we were so made for each other. One night I filled her room with rose petals and candles and asked her to marry me. She said yes.

I then left back for Canada, and in June 2005 I decided to move to Malaysia to finally live with her for good (she is originally from there, was studying in NZ). So I left for Malaysia with nothing but a bit of money and the 1 job interview that would allow me to stay in the country if I landed the job.

I got there, and 2 weeks later I had the job, which allowed me to stay in Malaysia with her for the following 14 months. It was a very enriching experience to say the least, and her family finally accepted me in the end (Chinese families can be harder to convince than others..).

After that we moved back here to Canada and got married. We now live together in Montreal.

That's the gist of it.. It was 6-7 years of very bittersweet pain and love. But in the end we got to be together, so it ended well. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Marie Claire (Malaysia) is actually writing a 4-page article about our story this month.. If you're interested in reading the whole story that I wrote for their editor, here it is:

http://www.makeshift.ca/temp/marieclaire.txt
Old 05-09-2007, 09:47 PM

It was a Friday night, my junior year in college when the three freshman cheerleaders came to my apartment accompanied by a group of five other cheerleaders for "supervision". Two of the "supervisors" were girls I already had on speed dial. Apparently girls talk more than I realized. Sometimes this is a very good thing.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:21 PM

great stories quids, KJS, bkholdem, really enjoyed reading them. slowhabit it's hard to understand what your story is but i'd love to hear it in full would make a good thread. turnip is elaboration possible on that one special day of music? like music is your living, what was the deal with one day being so different.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:45 AM

The first night that popped into my mind when I read the title of the thread occurred during my freshman year of college (I graduated a week ago).

I went to Australia during the first two weeks of spring semester for a medicine forum type thing. There were like 75 kids from around the country who were in college and a few who had already graduated; I was the youngest one there along with a freshman girl from Texas (who has the same birthday as me, strangely enough). I was super pumped for the whole trip because Australia has always been like the Holy Grail for me in terms of places to go. I don't really know why, it has just seemed liked the coolest place in the world to me since I was a kid. This may or may not have been caused by my mom reading me this book before bed on many many nights:

So we get there after having met up in LA and I've already clicked with tons of people who share the same interests, are excited to be abroad, etc etc . There's all kinds of good looking girls with accents from who knows where. They enjoy the fact that I am young and have long curly hair. I giggle a lot and look sheepish.

We do nothing the first night because we arrived late and had to check into our hotel. But the second night we are free to do what we want in Sydney. This being my first real traveling experience I am awed by the diversity of people and cultures from one street to the next. We get a great meal where I try escargot and kangaroo for the first time. Afterwards we go to the bar under the Opera House, which is not surprisingly called the Opera Bar. It was my first time drinking in a bar. I distinctly remember being carded (I was 18) then being scowled at because I was wearing a bandana. I then ordered a 15 dollar white russian. It was beyond delicious.

A group of 6 of 7 of us then went to an outdoor table right next to the harbor. As if on cue fireworks started going off, right over the harbor, their light juxtaposed against the dark water. It was just incredible. I have never felt so content or happy with my life, before or since.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:06 AM

Two days that I will never forget are:

a) Hitting 100k in my bankroll. This had significant meaning for me because I spent a good year and half constantly going busto playing with my whole roll on the table at Foxwoods/playing in the pit/playing online blackjack. I probably got up to 20k and lost it 6 or 7 times in my life, and then when I thought I had gotten ought of that pattern when I hit 80k and hand't played in the pit in 3 months I ended up losing another 35k in blackjack at the Bellagio in 2 hours and then went on a big life-tilt-driven downswing at poker, basically decimating my roll again.

Basically I thought I would never actually get off the ground and that I would keep dooming myself to grinding out sit and gos and blowing all my money. About 6 months later I had my roll at 100k and I know it's weird to think that playing in the pit would make you proud, but thinking about days when I couldn't buy a cookie at the Foxwoods food area because I didn't have 75 cents in my pocket and had no credit cards or having to ask my roomate to borrow 20 bucks so I could eat for a week and then realizing how far I'd come from those days was really an uplifting and transcendent moment of happiness.

Antonio Esfandiari once told me that hitting 100k for the first time was the happiest moment of his poker career, well ahead of becoming a millionaire or his first big day which I found somewhat surprising so maybe every poker player that hits 100k feels this way, but I like to think it was extra important for me considering that I really let myself fall into thinking it would never happen to me. Immediately upon closing my tables I put on Nas' "represent" so I could hear the line "[censored] allah god, let me see 100 grand" and smugly think to myself how awesome I was for getting there.

b) My junior year of high school I reached the national final round of foreign extemporaneous speaking, which was a public speaking competition I did in high school. I gave a 7 minute speech in front of about 3,000 and my speech was phenomenal. Not only did I have the whole audience cracking up, but when my archnemesis who I thought sucked but had been beating me a good amount throughout the year got up to cross-examine me (he was a real creepy tool/douchebag) I gave him a look like "this guy's a total loser" and the entire audience was laughing with me at this guy I had hated for 2 years and he had to wait for them to stop laughing so he could ask me his question, unaware of why everyone was laughing at him. It's kind of a "you had to be there and know the guy" moment, but for me it was just a great moment I'll never forget.

The best part is that all final rounds are taped so I have high schoolers watching me give what I have been told is one of the greatest speeches ever so I like to think I have a legacy in the event. I won the final round by a landslide.

Considering that when I moved to America from Israel I had a serious speech impediment and couldn't say my "r"s or "l"s for years, being on stage in total command of such a huge audience was a rush that I'd never had before and probably will never have again.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Going to New Zealand to meet my girlfriend (and now wife) after having met online 6 years beforehand. It was a long time coming, and it was an unforgettable moment. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

um...this is somewhat insane. please tell me you ejaculated a 10-foot rope of semen onto/in her because I can't begin to imagine how blue your balls must have been after a 7 year courtship with no physical contact and I hope it was worth it.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Immediately upon closing my tables I put on Nas' "represent" so I could hear the line "[censored] allah god, let me see 100 grand" and smugly think to myself how awesome I was for getting there.

[/ QUOTE ]

"F*ck a yard God, let me see a hundred grand"
Old 05-10-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Immediately upon closing my tables I put on Nas' "represent" so I could hear the line "[censored] allah god, let me see 100 grand" and smugly think to myself how awesome I was for getting there.

[/ QUOTE ]

"F*ck a yard God, let me see a hundred grand"

[/ QUOTE ]

huh, always thought it was [censored] allah...thanks for the heads up
Old 05-10-2007, 02:48 PM

yard = slang for $100