Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Re: War Against the Bots

More severe penalties are necessary in order to eliminate criminal bot activities. The poker sites should sue them for fraud and turn them over to the authorities after they catch them. How easy would that prosecution be? What happens after the first prosecutions?
Old 05-09-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Re: War Against the Bots *DELETED*

Post deleted by Mike Haven
Old 05-09-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However the sites are the ones who will really feel the pain and maybe this is the only way to get *effective* action from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say you have a 1BB/100 bot that plays $1/$2FL. It pulls in about $1/hour for each table. Each computer ($500 value) makes $175/day.

How on earth are you gonna convince this bot owner that playing at site X is -EV without building some sort of convoluted interface that pushes away any sane human player? For the life of me, I can't think of what this "effective action" would be.

Assume any bot that's making $175/day is probably part of a bot farm, so the owner's probably making closer to $2k/day.

You're going to have to be very persuasive to convince this guy to walk away from his $500k+ annual paycheck.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:14 PM

Bobo,

He and I had some testy exchanges in an SMP thread a while back about botting as well.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sweet Pea,

Are you a bot? You look like a bot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a bot, but I've been trying to keep tabs on them for about a year. They are out there, there is no question.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:17 PM

The bot problem sort of reminds me of the spam problem. If there wasn't any profit in it, then nobody would do it. In both instances, they feed on the dumb (i.e. fish). In both instances, I think they're scum.

I wish people would stop saying stuff like "I can beat a bot any day". Yeah, maybe you can because you're a pro, but the fish can't. Overfishing will deplete the stock fast. Pros can profit more playing a fish than a bot. A fish losing money to a bot means no money lost to a good human player.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bobo,

He and I had some testy exchanges in an SMP thread a while back about botting as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh...you didn't mention his 2+2 history, so I wasn't sure if he'd been forgotten. But then, how could he be, he was so busy winning friends before he was banned. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Even if some consider Nation's post to have debunked these particular "bots", at least these threads have refocused a little attention on the issue. I'm not in the "sky is falling" camp, but this is still something everyone needs to be aware of and on the lookout for.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:23 PM

Bobo,

I agree that the specific situation with the FT and how the truth there turns out or not to be doesn't change things. That bot site is in business and its customers are out there, AND the sites aren't doing nearly enough about it.

However something else is also clear. All the posters here who demand the ability to datamine and use HUDs, and also worry about bots, are hypocrites and self-defeating. Allowing any kind of software assistance takes away from the technical measures that could defeat botting.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:43 PM

share personal information pertaining to who cheaters are between all poker sites.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:44 PM

We obviously need to work on our detective skills.