Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Re: things to do in barcelona/spain

Hey, I'm the friend from the OP - we're going to be staying at kabul hostel in plaza real for the first week, then moving to a hotel (haven't decided where yet). Good suggestions so far, I was wondering how much spanish we should know when we get there. Will we be able to do ok by using mostly english and knowing a few key spanish phrases (bathroom, etc)?
Old 05-09-2007, 05:07 PM

In the tourist areas English is fine, but make an effort when you can to score points. Bonus points if you say "bon dia" and "bona nit" instead of "buenos dias" and "buenas noches." [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Edit: Oh yeah, Plaza Real is right in the middle of where you want to kick around for a week. You might have more fun staying there the whole time chilling with like-minded travellers.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:17 PM

First off if you are going to be there for a full month, visit a few cities...at least Barcelona and Madrid. In general, Spain is not like other places in Europe i have visited where english is a 2nd (or even first) language for everyone. That being said, Barcelona is the one exception. Taxi drivers, restaurant workers and most seem to speak passable english. Because spanish is not even the language of barcelona, some switch to english before true spanish (they actually speak Catalan)

I studied in madrid so i have a better feel there. Its an amazing city...It seems often overlooked because everyone visits barcelona. If you are into soccer def go to Santiago Bernabeu to see Real Madrid... The chase for the league title will be in full force them and the games should be electric. All the streets around the stadium close before the games and the bars open their doors. You walk in grab a big cup of beer and drink in the streets. Bullfights will have started then too. Sit in the sombra (shade). If u want some balla restaurants in Madrid PM me... also that time of year must be amazing in San Sebastien. On the Norhern Coast in Basque country. You should probably include that in your trip. Have fun
Old 05-09-2007, 08:10 PM

thanks for the advise everyone, is there any like drop in places to play like soccer and other sports(like tennis)? haha itd be awesome/embarrassing to get owned by all those pro spanish soccer guys