Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Possible set vs. set situation

A possible set vs. set situation. I, a PLO beginner, play at the nano limit 6max with a LAG in table, that is sometimes close to maniac, but can also fold. He raises preflop a lot, and may bet or raise postflop especially in position with something like a big pair and a weak draw. He has me covered with his stack.

1)

The LAG raised preflop. My hand AQ88. Flop K85 rainbow.
I open with the amount of pot, others fold to LAG who raises the pot. If I call, I have money left for one full sized bet. But should I just fold?

If I call, then check at the blanco turn (3), he bets the pot putting me AI. Now i fold, right?

How about if he had raised 50% of the pot at the flop after paying my bet instead of whole the pot amount?

2)

The same situation as before, but my stack is larger, like after one full sized turn bet I'd still have enough left for 75% river bet. Should I now call at the flop but fold facing a big turn bet (that I think would follow if I decided to call the flop)?

And if his flop raise was 50% of the pot?

3)

The LAG raised preflop. My hand AQ55. Flop J85 with two spades (I have one spade in my hand).
I open with the amount of pot, others fold to LAG who raises the pot. If I call, I have money left for one full sized bet. Now he could possibly raise with a good draw too. But should I just fold?

If I call, then check at the blanco turn (3), he bets the pot putting me AI. Now i fold, right?

4)

Again, like before, but my stack is larger, like after one full sized turn bet I would still have enough left for 75% river bet. Should I now call the full pot raise at the flop but fold facing a big turn bet (that I think would follow if I decide to call the flop)?

If not, should I call at the flop if his raise was only 50% after paying my bet?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Possible set vs. set situation

The answer to all of your questions is
A) Checkraise the flop to negate being OOP.
B) Don't fold.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:06 AM

So I should only bet out if I had a top set, otherwise check hoping a bet to CR? And with every kind of flop texture? I could do that sometimes, in situations where the LAG is last to speak, but every time even with the middle set?

And if he was the second to speak with couple of dudes behind?

B) You mean don't fold ever to whole pot raise or to 50% pot raise?

And if i DO bet out at the flop with at least middle set in some situations, and get raised. Then the original questions.

(Anyway, thanks for pointing out that hoping to check raise is often good idea.)
Old 05-09-2007, 01:13 AM

As long as his cbet frequency is fairly high it's almost always better to checkraise. Leading out just puts you OOP against the field.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:25 AM

Even with top set?

But if I still DO bet out, for whatever reason, like with middle set when the LAG is next to speak with two more guys (LP or tight) behind, and I'm not really sure of LAG's cbet, just that he seems quite aggressive. Or even if I just make it to vary my play, or whatever additional reasons. Then the above questions when I get raised with either pot size or 50% size raise. I really need to know. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2007, 01:35 AM

Unless the other player is a nit you shouldn't be folding middle set on the flop very often when no straight or flush is possible.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:51 AM

I folded middle set today for the first time in about 50,000 hands and it turned out it was a bad fold because I was against bottom set. Against a player you know to be a LAG, you should never fold middle set when there's no straight or flush possible unless you have insanely deep stacks.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:04 AM

Ok, then let's get this a little more far:

Raised pot, we have large stacks to cover big bets in every street.

I open out (this time) with middle set at not very coordinated rainbow board like KT6, but that has some possibility for a wrap. I have no additional outs.

A LAG behind me raises the pot, the others fold. I call and check call pot size bet every street when the cards to come are like 4 and 3 with no third flush card?

Edit: changed the board cards
Old 05-09-2007, 01:11 PM

why not 3 bet pot on the flop?...if he 4 bets over you fold...otherwise you're likely in the lead