Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 12:40 PM

Default Re: HD or BlueRay

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't you have to get another drive or something to play the disks on the xbox?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I must look into this I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it costs $200 essentially making your XBOx 360 cost the same amount as the PS3 (MAJOR BEAT). If you own both just play the BlueRay for now. Its going to be like VHS vs BetaMax. Give it a year or two for things to pan out.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:47 PM

If either wins it will be Blu Ray, but i think more likely HVD will win or combo players will win.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:53 PM

guys - saying just HD is confusing as it can mean HDTV, HD-DVD. The proper term is HD-DVD - you can't use a shortcut here. PS3 is a valid shortcut for "playstation 3", but HD is not a valid shortcut for "high definition dvd"

oh - and neither will win - video downloads FTW
Old 05-09-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eventually, I hope everything will go this way. The problem is that the US is WAY behind every other country in broadband speeds, and movie sizes keep going up.

Original DVD = 4.7gb
Dual Layer DVD = 9gb
HD-DVD = 15gb - 30gb (single/dual)
Bluray = 25gb - 50gb (single/dual)

At current speeds of 3mbps, it will take around 12 hours to download a 15gb file.

In order to get the movie in real-time, we'd need our current broadband speeds to increase roughly 8x. It's very possible (and there are services out right now that do 7-8mbps down), but it's more likely that they'll compress the hell out of these movies.

Right now on torrent sites you can grab 1080p movies which have been compressed to various levels (20gb, 10gb, 5gb).
Old 05-09-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eventually, I hope everything will go this way. The problem is that the US is WAY behind every other country in broadband speeds, and movie sizes keep going up.

Original DVD = 4.7gb
Dual Layer DVD = 9gb
HD-DVD = 15gb - 30gb (single/dual)
Bluray = 25gb - 50gb (single/dual)

At current speeds of 3mbps, it will take around 12 hours to download a 15gb file.

In order to get the movie in real-time, we'd need our current broadband speeds to increase roughly 8x. It's very possible (and there are services out right now that do 7-8mbps down), but it's more likely that they'll compress the hell out of these movies.

Right now on torrent sites you can grab 1080p movies which have been compressed to various levels (20gb, 10gb, 5gb).

[/ QUOTE ]
The other issue is that 95% of the population wants to watch movies on their TV, not PC, and doesn't have devices/knowledge to stream from PC to TV.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The other issue is that 95% of the population wants to watch movies on their TV, not PC, and doesn't have devices/knowledge to stream from PC to TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I'm a way above average PC user for the US (call it top 15%), and I'm well aware of the fact that I can really leverage my PC through my TV, but I don't know how to and am too lazy to figure it out. The rest of people in middle America have no shot.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:28 PM

For those who want to wait, here's a cool thread with screen shots comparing HD-DVD/Blu-Ray with Standard DVD. Especially check out the first picture in the thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=811102

The thread also has links to a cool viewer where you can dynamically compare SD to HD.

http://xylon.haloapplications.com/hddvd/harrypotter/01/
Old 05-14-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, when I was talking about downloadable HD content, I was more thinking about the Xbox 360 or some type of DVR. And I believe that there are more HD-DVR's out there than blu-ray/hd-dvd players combined. (I could be wrong here)
Old 05-09-2007, 12:57 PM

IMO downloadble HD video means they are both going to be beta.