Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 08:05 AM

Default PLO - MTT hand selection

When playing cash games we have the choice to choose our hands and play hands at the position of our choice. But how do we play hands in a MTT? 789Tds is a good hand in late position early and AAxxds is a decent hand. But what about hands like KK97oo/ss/ds, AA69oo 8JTKss and alike. When do I need to start playing hands that have only two connectors/suited cards and alike?

I have the basics of cash game Omaha but I don't know how to play the MTT's, when I go deep I usually catch a big hand early and double/triple up and start to chip bully my way to the FT.

In NL-TH I know which hands are marginal and when I should start to play the rags. But the biggest difference is that I know which hands are rags, decent, and good in TH. I don't know this in Omaha. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

ds= double suited
ss= single suited
oo = of color
Old 05-09-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Re: PLO - MTT hand selection

I don't think you're alone at all. I will sometimes play the ub $10 rebuy plo at 845pm est and find that very good cash game plo players dont get good tournament strategy. Mandatory calls are folded. People blind down. Big blinds fold pre-flop when the big blind is a significant portion of their chip stack.

Good plo mtt play (IMO) involves taking three things into consideration: 1. Your M, 2. Pre-flop pot odds, 3. the fact that no plo hand is incredibly behind preflop (unlike hold-em). The mtt mistake that is being made is that people fold too many hands when they are only a 60:40 dog when the pot odds are much better than this (and the implied odds are even better, because their opponent is often pot committed on the flop).

If you read Rolf's PLO book many of the short stacked strategies he presents for cash games will apply to late mtt play. I'm no expert, but when I have played plo in this ub tournament I've done relatively well with this strategy. I hope that this gives you a start.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:20 AM

which book is it that this "Rolf" has written?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:29 PM

Secrets of Professional Pot-Limit Omaha (Paperback)
by Rolf Slotboom (Author)
(well known professional plo b&m and live)
Old 05-11-2007, 05:25 PM

Bump