Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Raising 22 utg profitable??

Say you are at a table where you think in general 3 players will call an UTG raise and at least one will stay in til showdown 90% of the time.
At a table like that i think limping (if maybe 3-5 players will limp in behind)or folding is far better.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:54 PM

yea id limp at that table. never fold, wtf. i guess i'd fold if it were a psycho aggro table (which could also be an awesome table). but it's rare. let's say i'd raise it 90+% of the time and feel good about it.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
btw, Im not understanding your reasoning for needing to change tables if raising it UTG isnt profitable. My idea of a table where raising 22 utg isnt so great is one where you are getting at least 2 callers and they arent folding to cbets very often, and thats generally a very good table.

[/ QUOTE ]

He meant at tables full of tags who 3bet or float you often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to table select really well but if I have a 55/10 on my right and a bunch of 3 bettors/floaters to my left, I am not just going to get up and find a new table because raising 22-55 UTG isn't profitable. I'm just going to stop raising it at that table. Adapting>>>>table selecting>>>no table selection

[/ QUOTE ]

That statement is wrong. Table selection>anything. Finding many players far worse than you is more important than anything you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it wrong? If you have a 55/10 to your right then it is a good table. I am saying I am not going to leave it to find a table where I can find easier regulars to play against. Adapting to those current conditions until the fish busts is going to be more profitable than finding a 33/15 and 4 other good but not great regulars IMO.

OBV playing in the easiest game possible is best but at least on FTP those games are pretty rare. I think it is pretty rare to be sitting at a table there w/o at least 2-3 regulars/good players. My goal is to get a good seat at a table w/ at least 1 megafish and play however I need to to be playing optimally in that game until he busts and then find a better table if possible.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it's profitable if you do it every once in a while, but if you're constantly raising 22 utg you're in trouble

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL?

[/ QUOTE ]
why LOL? I agree with his response.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:59 PM

In an attempt to become less of a bet/fold, cbet/give up tagfish I've started playing less hands that basically leave me stuck with air when played back at, which is frequently the case.

I still raise 22 utg but closer to 50% instead of 100%.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:00 AM

the players to your left are much more important to the goodness of the table/seat than the players to your right. one fish to your right with 5 good LAGs behind you is not a good table.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i, and many other very very solid players, dont open 22-55 utg. but everybody wants to because they think setmining oop is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you just limp?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the players to your left are much more important to the goodness of the table/seat than the players to your right. one fish to your right with 5 good LAGs behind you is not a good table.

[/ QUOTE ]

does this ever happen at 2/4? Doesn't seem so at FT [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2007, 12:37 AM

it doesnt happen at 5/10 or 10/20 either. was just a general point.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it's profitable if you do it every once in a while, but if you're constantly raising 22 utg you're in trouble

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL?

[/ QUOTE ]
why LOL? I agree with his response.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because what the hell does 'once in a while' mean? Either it's profitable or it's not, subject to game conditions, not a 'oh I feel like it this time'.

And if I raise 22 UTG by default, that doesn't mean I'm in trouble. If I fold it UTG by default, that doesn't mean I'm out of trouble. So therefore, LOL.