Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 08:06 PM

Default Bet sizing with TP & FD

No reads...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed)
Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($57.20)
Button ($88)
SB ($200.15)
BB ($181.10)
UTG ($33.30)
Hero ($46.05)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $2, SB calls $1.75, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($10) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($10) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero...?

I just rolled off top pair with the FD, is a PSB standard here...or do we press harder or even check? Also, is the flop check OK? I felt betting with four players is asking to get raised somewhere on that wet of a board.

If we PSB what would you do if...

1) A non-board pairing heart rolls off the river and we face heavy aggression (an open push) would we call?

2) A non-board pairing blank rolls off and we face a 1/2 PSB?

Thanks...
Old 05-08-2007, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Bet sizing with TP &amp; FD

Bet this flop hard, not doing so is criminal. I dont see why you would be worried about a check raise as there are very few hands you are a dog to, and those would definatley not check this flop. You want your money going in here, even calling an open shove from utg would not be horrible. As played I near pot the turn and expect to take it down a lot of the time. If someone had a real hand you would have heard by now. I don't see why you are so concerned with river aggression when absolutley no one has shown any interest so far.

Edit: Thinking about this more, I'm starting to lean twoards a turn check, as there are so many hands out there and we only have top pair with only 1 card to make our draws. Not betting the flop put you in a tough situation.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Bet sizing with TP &amp; FD

I think betting the flop is ok.

The way the hand is right now I think you should bet the turn. We know we're not up against AhKh and if someone does have an offsuit AK we have outs. To answer your question (2) if we face heavy resistance if a non paired heart falls I think you need to call.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Bet sizing with TP & FD

My god, bet that flop. You've got two overs, gutshot to the nut straight and the second nut flush draw. Bet the flop strong and be happy to get it in. UTG has nothing, so he's going away (not even top set chks here in a multiway pot unless he's craaaazy). If sb or bb c/r, you can safely push with massive equity -- if btn raises, well, same thing.

If any just call and you miss, you can think about chking turn behind and seeing a free card or betting. Depends on how many and reads.

As to the turn -- now you're screwed. There's only one card to come instead of two and your rio just got nasty if someone's slowplayed or hit that turn better than you have.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:53 AM

bet the flop. You have a monster hand push over any raise.
bet the turn. You have tp decent kicker. You did get yourself in to a crappy spot because they could have made a better hand than you but i think you have the people who check beat so you only have to worry about the guy left to act.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:07 AM

suppose the pot was a little bit smaller, so with less callers preflop, lets say $6. On the flop someone bets 5, making the pot $11, is this still a push on the flop then, cause you are pushing 45 in a 11 pot, seems a little like an overbet to me then. But do you realy wanna play the turn and river seperately or do you just push to win the pot on the flop or see both turn and river for 1 decision?
Old 05-09-2007, 04:09 AM

Definitely bet the flop you are a favorite against all hands except sets. Sets will not slowplay this board so just bet and if you get raised it's a pretty easy shove.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:40 AM

One of the most important things to understand when you start playing poker is that your actual hand is never, almost never, a consideration for the bet sizing. Its completely irrelevant if you hold QhTh or 23o on this board. If you bet your bet should always be the same in this particular situation. The things that you do need to consider is the texture of the board, number of players in the pot, your relative and absolute position, stack sizes. Most of the time in a multiway pot its a pot bet or no bet at all.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the most important things to understand when you start playing poker is that your actual hand is never, almost never, a consideration for the bet sizing. Its completely irrelevant if you hold QhTh or 23o on this board. If you bet your bet should always be the same in this particular situation. The things that you do need to consider is the texture of the board, number of players in the pot, your relative and absolute position, stack sizes. Most of the time in a multiway pot its a pot bet or no bet at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nicely said and so true, wish I had this in mind all the time.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:57 AM

I like the flop check. You have a good draw, but you don't want a check raise, so take a card.

I usually bet turn: we're now most likely ahead and if weirdly not we've got a great chance to improve. I would quite pot it, maybe $6-8, in line with my normal bet sizing on the turn. The key thing is that now we are prepared to get ai.

1) On the river if someone openpushes I go !?!!!?? and call cos I am a complete donkey with the 2nd nuts. I wouldn't call that advice though.

2) Definately call a 1/2PSB on a blank R.

EDIT after reading replieds: Ok I missed the g/s. That makes me willing to get it ai on the flop so yeh bet it.