Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Which book for basics of math in poker?

Hi
I am looking to purchase a book(NL), where i could read all about the math needed to play successful poker, im talking about calculating all the hand and pot odds, probabilities fold equity, EV....

Which book do you recommend for that?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Which book for basics of math in poker?

Angel Largay's book has a decent math section. The game it covers is small stakes NL cash, so it might be what you're looking for.

Ed Miller's Getting Started in Hold 'em (Fundamentals section) is good as well.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:37 PM

"Killer Poker by the Numbers" by Tony Guerrera is all about the math of NL HE. I found the book very helpful, but not everyone agrees. So check out the reviews of this book on this forum.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:09 AM

I've heard of a book called, "The mathematics of poker." I was asking about Game theory one time and that book was recommended here. Something tells me that might give you the info. you need ;-). I really have no idea how detailed it is though...perhaps I'll go order that one now
Old 05-09-2007, 11:10 AM

Is it specifically related to NL? I don't think I've heard of that book or author before
Old 05-09-2007, 11:31 AM

Killer poker by the numbers is a equity, ranges, pot odds kinda book,

Mathematics of poker is a pure game theory book analysing mostly poker like toy games. It is a theory book that can broaden your understanding and intuition, but deals with abstract concepts and will do you no use at the tables as such.

M. Hilger also has an odds and stuff book out, haven't browsed it, so I'm clueless with regards to its contents.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:20 AM

Mathematics of Poker is not a beginner-level book. I'd recommend Phil Gordon's Little Green Book, it covers the most basic aspects NLHE math. Plenty of work to do from there, but it's a start.

Either Theory of Poker or No Limit Hold'Em: Theory and Practice would be the next step if LGB is too basic for you.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it specifically related to NL? I don't think I've heard of that book or author before

[/ QUOTE ]

"Killer Poker by the Numbers" is about to NL HE.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:42 PM

There is a question regarding Mathematics of Poker by Chen that I have... the paragraph is this:

As an important aside, bluffing into dry side pots violates convention, and there are strong reasons not to engage in this behavior because of the overtly collusive aspect of it. Players should consider carefully whether the tiny bit of potential equity they may gain by making these plays is sufficiently compensated by potential retaliation in future hands or tournaments. These issues are fairly unclear.

What? Issues unclear? Well that's just what I was going to ask! What potential retaliation in future hands is he talking about? Someone deciding to punish a player by clock-stalling because he's upset that Mr. Donkey bluffed into dry sidepot which caused bubble-boy to triple-up?
Old 05-12-2007, 10:49 AM

i think the mathematics of poker is much more math them you need and is very complicated.
i didn't like killer poker.
i think the best books for odds are still the limit books. if you really ant to learn the basic odds you should read a good limit book, even if you play NL.
theory of poker is a must no matter what form of poker you play.
beyond top for odds, i like ssh. i think getting starting in poker would work, and weighing the odds too. but ssh gives you the odds with a lot of examples. it will give you the basic math, and make you think about poker, thereby making you a better player. plus it is a good book. there is no comparable nl book on the market to explain to you the basic odds.