Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Tournament player who doesn\'t want to play with female opponents

A couple tournaments ago, I sat down at a table full of men (pretty typical) waiting for the tournament to start. One of the guys at the table with dark sunglasses and an Indiana Jones hat immediately makes a smug comment about not playing cards with women. The comment was directed towards me, but he was trying to kibbutz with another male player.

The rest of the players at the table had a lot of class. They didn't want anything to do with this line of conversation and politely tried to steer Indy on to other topics. As the cards were delt, Indy starts up again - this time sending the zingers directly my way. I bit my tongue several times and just played my hands.

After going into a couple pots with Indy, I noticed he was fixated on me every time a flop was dealt - trying to get a read. I started staring right back at him until it was my turn to bet. I was getting really tired of this guy's glaring and rude comments.

I got some cards and raised. Betting moved around to Indy and he called. He almost knocked the guy between us off his chair, he was leaning towards me so hard. I heard the flop hit the table as Indy and I were in a stare-down.

Then I winked at him - he looked at the flop, then I looked at the flop. I had hit my hand and Indy had to bet ahead of me. Indy raised. Everyone else folded to me. I went all-in. Indy had me covered and quickly called. We flipped the cards up, turn-blank, river-blank, and I won the hand.

This must have put Indy on super-tilt. He went all in on the next two hands and busted out.

My question is - what is a good way to deal with players like this? I can't go around winking at everyone [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Thanks!
uminga
Old 05-08-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Tournament player who doesn\'t want to play with female opponents

Sounds like you dealt with it in the best way possible. A guy like this clearly isn't going to let a woman bluff him off a hand, so taking advantage of this knowledge when you have a real hand looks good to me!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is - what is a good way to deal with players like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I'm not a woman, I'd take the line you did 100% of the time. I suppose I could run into some kind of weird racial thing (I'm black), but the same principle applies.

-Alpha
Old 05-08-2007, 06:50 PM

Ignore it. You will probaly get alot of this, mainly to annoy you and put you on tilt. If you start talking back you will talk your mind off and your concentration will go.

If you get pissed off you will make poor decisions, like the guy did at your table.

Just sit there, wait till you hit your hand and take him to the cleaners.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:10 PM

You dealt with it great.

Basically (1) don't let it get to you or affect your play. It is THEIR problem, not yours, so let them deal with it and you just play your game. And (2) whatever it does to them, use it against them. If they literally "won't play a hand" and fold every time you're in the pot, bet them off everything. If, as is more likely, they react like Indy here, use their aggression against them and bust them.

Remember that people like that, their prejudices make their own lives smaller, less significant, and less fulfilling. You're fine.

Nice story, by the way.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:18 PM

My question is - what is a good way to deal with players like this? I can't go around winking at everyone

In a tournament you wont have much of a choice. You most likely (hopefully) will not play with someone like this again for a while.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:40 PM

Nice Hand. You doubled up. He's gone. Instant justice.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:31 PM

If you can play poker against guys who think women can't play poker, you've got an edge. Use it.
My poker username is deliberately goofy sounding to make just these sort of guys think I can't play.
You might want to bluff less against guys like this as they'll call you down with pretty much anything but take them all the way to Value Town with your good stuff.
Be prepared to be called every name under the sun when you do 'body bag' them however!
Old 05-09-2007, 08:55 AM

Ditto what everyone has said. I love playing with guys like this because they tilt so easily! There are chapters in some good books about the types of male players against females. Pretty interesting. No time to go into it, but just keep your cool, play good poker, and stack them. Then, send them my way [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is - what is a good way to deal with players like this? I can't go around winking at everyone

In a tournament you wont have much of a choice. You most likely (hopefully) will not play with someone like this again for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

...unless you enjoy doubling up against a terd who tilts easily. Or you just enjoy doubling up.