Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Bonds Haters: Please post why you hate Bonds

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sloth,

"While the media thing is amusing, he is also well known for being a prick to his teammates."

I think a lot of people would be surprised at how much of a prick many super-elite athletes are to those around them (teammates, staff, etc.). Most just put on a lot better face to the public than Bonds does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is true. Most of them are well known for being a**holes. But it's not the only reason I don't like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know this?

People with actual facts should make claims like this, not cause you once saw Tiger yell at his caddy, or read an article in SI.

FWIW - if I had to endure media, slagging, disgruntled fans, etc., I wouldn't be the sunniest personality in public either. Sports fans are insane and demand way too much of their idols. I would take the Jordan approach - think that's probably the optimal way to handle athletic superstardom.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is more about him being a dick to fans than it is him being a dick to the media. I saw him in spring training back before he had broken the single season homerun record. He may have been in a bad mood or something but a ton of kids were leaning over the railing trying to get his autograph and he was basically ignoring them. A kid who must have been like 8 or 9 leaned over to far and end up almost falling over but was pulled back by another fan--but in the process he dropped the hat and pen he was reaching out over the railing with.

Bonds walked over and picked up the pen and hat and then walked into the dugout. lol
I have to admit I thought it was pretty funny cuz I thought Bonds was just playing around...but he never came back up so I guess he wasn't.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kyleb...what is there to like about Barry Bonds?

[/ QUOTE ]

he is the best baseball player to ever play the game and i get to watch it happen in real time

pretty minor i know

[/ QUOTE ]

You a big fan of O.J.? Dude could run thru tackles and he was a good comedic actor to boot!

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you just compare killing two people to taking steroids?

Seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude can you prove O.J. actually killed two people?
He was found not guilty by a jury of his peers.
Besides who cares...he was a awesome running back. I don't care about the person I just care about what they do on the field.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:10 PM

Yeah, you must be Dead.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:11 PM

Al,

Re-read my post. I didn't say "they are all a**holes". I said they are well know for being a**holes. Yes, it's perception generated by what I see and read. But when the same guys keep doing the same stupid [censored] over and over, it becomes pretty easy to assume they are pricks. Bonds definitely fits this category.

And not just because of the media thing. Did you read my entire first post, or just the part El D quoted? Because I also mentioned my dislike for him being based on being an ass to his teammates, cheating on his wife, parading his kids in front of the media, and using steroids. I could give a rat's ass how he treats the media, because I can't stand the media anyway.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bonds walked over and picked up the pen and hat and then walked into the dugout. lol
I have to admit I thought it was pretty funny cuz I thought Bonds was just playing around...but he never came back up so I guess he wasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

I've heard plenty of positive and negative things from fans about the same guy. As far as I can tell Kobe is the biggest humanitarian on the planet, and alternately, the biggest douchebag.

I think the default is to assume elite athletes are douchebags. So unless you have some actual intimate information about the person, this is all wild speculation (wrt how cool / nice / whatever the athlete is).

-Al
Old 05-08-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you must be Dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might be, but his point rings true.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And not just because of the media thing. Did you read my entire first post, or just the part El D quoted? Because I also mentioned my dislike for him being based on being an ass to his teammates, cheating on his wife, parading his kids in front of the media, and using steroids. I could give a rat's ass how he treats the media, because I can't stand the media anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sloth - gotcha, just read the Diablo part.

I do agree that a good indicator is if the dude's teammates hate him.

-Al
Old 05-08-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you must be Dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might be, but his point rings true.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it doesn't.

Reasons why for the braindead:

1) O.J. is not the best football player at his position, much less best player in football ever.
2) O.J. was found liable for the deaths of multiple people and significant evidence points to him doing the killing.
3) Bonds is the best player of all time, and if you don't believe that, then he's at least top three.
4) Bonds probably did steroids. Oh no!
5) Bonds is also a jerk. So are 95% of all athletes.

If you like it in SAT format, then:

Bonds:O.J.::apples:?

a) Garbage dumps
b) Chap stick
c) 5.1 surround sound movie theater audio
Old 05-08-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kyleb...what is there to like about Barry Bonds?

[/ QUOTE ]

he is the best baseball player to ever play the game and i get to watch it happen in real time

pretty minor i know

[/ QUOTE ]

You a big fan of O.J.? Dude could run thru tackles and he was a good comedic actor to boot!

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you just compare killing two people to taking steroids?

Seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]

the comparison is obv. awful, but I think (or hope) that his point was the we should consider more than onfield achievements in who we like or dislike. these are often irrational or dumb reasons, such as "one time this guy gave me an autograph, loved him since" or it may be something like "I tried to get his autograph and he flashed his bling at me and gave me the finger"

given that as fans we have very few good data points to actually judge character/whatever, small things or one time incidents often are often what we use to go by.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:20 PM

Ha. Anyone who seriously thinks OJ didn't kill those people is a goddamned moron of the highest order. I'm sure you cruise around in your Bronco with the cops chasing you, covered in blood, threatening to kill yourself when you had no clue what happened? GTFO

But I digress, the Bonds:OJ comp sucks. Bonds is just a douche, OJ is a pretty much worthless scum. Bonds is a much much much better baseball player than OJ was football player.