Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Bonds Haters: Please post why you hate Bonds

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He also treats the media like [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]The media treat him like [censored] as well. Why on earth do you feel compassion for sports writers?

[/ QUOTE ]

fine, then just focus on the fact that he is a racist.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sloth,

"While the media thing is amusing, he is also well known for being a prick to his teammates."

I think a lot of people would be surprised at how much of a prick many super-elite athletes are to those around them (teammates, staff, etc.). Most just put on a lot better face to the public than Bonds does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is true. Most of them are well known for being a**holes. But it's not the only reason I don't like him.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:50 PM

If Bonds was just an asshat that happened to be sick at baseball, I'd root for him to smash all the records, just because it would be interesting

However, it's pretty clear that he and many, many other players cheated with performance enhancing drugs. This makes me hate baseball in general. So I don't give a flying [censored] about whether he breaks the record or not. Baseball is dead to me.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kyleb...what is there to like about Barry Bonds?

[/ QUOTE ]

he is the best baseball player to ever play the game and i get to watch it happen in real time

pretty minor i know

[/ QUOTE ]

You a big fan of O.J.? Dude could run thru tackles and he was a good comedic actor to boot!
Old 05-08-2007, 01:54 PM

Alot of super-elite athletes get a bad rap, considering.

Consider going into work everyday in front of 30-40k people. They shout your name, boo and catcall while you are trying to work, and on your way out the door they all say the "right things" because they want a pice of you or something that benefits them in some way...but you can easily see right through it as phony opportunism.... meanwhile the next day they show right back up and give you the business just because you wear a different color jersey than their team, or because you swung and missed at a few pitches.

Then imagine doing that day in and day out, for 10+ years.

You just might develop an indifference, or heavens forbid an edge towards them.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do people here think of Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb?

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't think most people besides the diehard baseball nuts give two craps about Ruth or Ty Cobb.

In 50 years no one will care about Bonds because he'll be a legend of a fogotten and most likely mocked era in baseball.
And he will probably no longer hold the record.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Steroids are known for leading to an increase in injuries, and often leading to a quick and premature end to career.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have the faintest [censored] clue what you are talking about? Maybe a variety of types? Their relative anabolic to androgenic properties?

None of us really know what he was using in combination with HGH, we can fathom a guess. But to act like the above in ingrained in stone is abs foolish. If anything steroids are usually used to recover from injuries much faster, much how many of these athletes mentioned using it.

There are plenty of people in MLB who take a sane amount of drugs to improve performance and don't gain much mass, but gain an appreciable amount of CNS improvement that improves their game.

Please stop reading anything written by a baseball writer about steroids. They almost universally have no clue what they are talking about. Talking about steroids... they all sound like Joe Morgan.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sloth,

"While the media thing is amusing, he is also well known for being a prick to his teammates."

I think a lot of people would be surprised at how much of a prick many super-elite athletes are to those around them (teammates, staff, etc.). Most just put on a lot better face to the public than Bonds does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is true. Most of them are well known for being a**holes. But it's not the only reason I don't like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know this?

People with actual facts should make claims like this, not cause you once saw Tiger yell at his caddy, or read an article in SI.

FWIW - if I had to endure media, slagging, disgruntled fans, etc., I wouldn't be the sunniest personality in public either. Sports fans are insane and demand way too much of their idols. I would take the Jordan approach - think that's probably the optimal way to handle athletic superstardom.

-Al
Old 05-08-2007, 02:05 PM

RedBean,

You are going to be so easy to pick apart I shouldn't bother. But what the hell:

Well documented as in every major media outlet ran the same story. Well documented as in streams of medical professionals saying that these particular steroids help to prevent degeneration of the eyes. Sorry I didn't have my references on hand for you. Would you prefer them in APA format for future reference?

I never said it was impossible for a player to play well after 35. A lot of players have played well after 35, and some of had career years. I don't recall any of them admitting to using steroids and then saying they didn't know what they were taking. I believe that separates Bonds from the pack.

You can't compare Canseco and Caminiti to Bonds. Bonds was great before steroids; the other two because of them. They finally got to the point where the steroids were not enough to make up for their declining skills. And Caminiti was also an alcoholic and cocaine addict. You convenientley left that out.

The Palmeiro comment was just stupid; now you are grasping at straws.

For the record, I used to be just like you; a Bond's apologist. Then I started looking at the facts. You should do the same. None of your arguments touch on the fact that he admitted to using steroids and then lied about his inolvement with BALCO and knowledge of what he was taking. I never said I hated him; I just don't like the fact that he is going to break the HR record under these circumstances.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kyleb...what is there to like about Barry Bonds?

[/ QUOTE ]

he is the best baseball player to ever play the game and i get to watch it happen in real time

pretty minor i know

[/ QUOTE ]

You a big fan of O.J.? Dude could run thru tackles and he was a good comedic actor to boot!

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you just compare killing two people to taking steroids?

Seriously?