Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 12:05 PM

Default I hate weak overpairs out of position . . .

$5/$10 online, 9 handed

Folded to complete unknown in LP (we have less than 10 hands together) who raises, folded to me in SB w/99.

I called, BB (somewhat loose pf, tightens up postflop) called. In retrospect, I think 3-betting to get it heads-up would have been better, though I am not sure it would have gotten the BB to fold. Thoughts?

Flop was 543 two suited. Checked to LP, who bets. I check-raise to knock out BB, but they call anyway. LP 3 bets, everyone calls.

Turn is offsuit 8. Checked to LP, who bets, all call.

Anyone fold at any point? It would seem to me that if you call the turn, it generally doesn't make sense to fold the river for one bet from LP (assuming the flush doesn't get there) so the main decision is whether or not to call the turn.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: I hate weak overpairs out of position . . .

i would 3 bet pf, but seeing you didnt, the CR is good.

once you get 3 bet i would def call down, this is 66/77 air often enough.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:40 AM

Does anyone play this like a blind stealing attempt by villain here? It was folded around and he opened; we should be 3 betting for isolation and because chances are we're ahead right now. Depending on the read I think villian could have a really wide range of hands here, even for his limp/3-town. Can we find a turn raise with the blank or is that spewing?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:44 AM

i take the bus to pf 3town for sure here.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:03 AM

This is an absolutely standard preflop 3bet--you're up against a straight steal attempt far more often than he's got a bigger PP or even a strong ace.

As played I'm absolutely calling the turn bet, and probably leading a safe river card (not that there are a lot of those). I'm check/calling an unsafe river card, unless the flush or a 2 hits & it goes bet/call (or obviously bet/raise).
Old 05-08-2007, 12:50 PM

lol... leading a safe river? Probably your best play here is to fold to the 3 bet on the flop. 3-bets PF does nothing for you without a 9 on the flop. Lets say your opponent does have a strong ace. AK... he is gonna have the best hand at showdown 40% of the time. That is probably your IDEAL situation for his hole cards. Since you dont know the player and he raised up front.. lets say 20% of the time he is gonna have a PP higher than 9s.

Add on top of that the chance that if someone is holding an open ended straight they have a huge chance of beating both of your hands.

He likely wouldnt make this 3 bet with AK or such because the A is gonna make someone else a straight. And at this point it sounds like a value 3 bet desperate to discourage players.

Long run the best thing to do is probably ditch since you have such little chance to improve.

Call the 3 bet since you are already committed and plan to fold the turn short of trip 9s.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:05 PM

If that isn't a joke it's some of the worst advice I've heard in SSLHE, and that's saying a LOT.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:20 PM

yea normandy i see at least 5 things wrong with what you just said
Old 05-08-2007, 01:40 PM

Thanks for counting whats wrong... but not providing any real solution.

All players call and are going to river? Are you? 2 cards to improve... doubtful hand is best.... and chances of unimproving on river? Exactly what river are you fellas hoping for? I dont see any good card than a 9 on the river. Please let me know fellas. Sounds like theres definately a 7 somewhere and likely still overcards.

Let me guess? Your the one thats always complaining about river beats and having the best hand at the turn?

CERTAINLY A CALL IS THE WORST PLAY. At least if you raise here on the turn then you may get overcards to drop after commiting a bet and greatly increase your equity by turning some overcards to safe cards.

DONT LEAD THE RIVER unless you are willing to fold.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:52 PM

oh hey FullyTilted.... What ended up happening in the hand?