Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Stud8 TTT huge pot

I considered jamming 4th as most people have suggested, and that was the main reason I posted the hand. I think it's close. My reasoning at the time was that after everyone catches good on 4th, it's a near certainty that someone will make a low and so I'm playing just for half. However, my equity is still quite high (around 40%), so jamming is justified in that respect. But I'm wondering if not jamming 4th allowed me to jam 5th (where my equity is much higher, close to 50%). I guess it really depends on how the cards fall and I should just keep my foot on the gas from the beginning.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like taking the last bet on 3rd.

[/ QUOTE ]
I tend to agree but would like to hear others' thoughts on this.

Is there any deception to just calling on third? Hero's range is exclusively (TT)T and (AA)T at this point, right?

Furthermore, it seems the ace's re-raising simply allows Hero a guaranteed opportunity to face the field with a double bet. There will be fourth streets that do not allow Hero to either face the field with a double bet or jam the pot. In that case, shouldn't Hero thin the field or get the bets in when he can?
Old 05-07-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any deception to just calling on third? Hero's range is exclusively (TT)T and (AA)T at this point, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

If this was stud hi instead of hi/lo, I would be in more favor of just calling on 3rd to be sneaky but IMO, a slowplay in this spot is just asking to be drawn out on. He got all kinda action w/o giving free cards, so I can't find fault in stepping on the gas on 3rd.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Edit: nevermind, I see you're talking about 3rd, not 4th/.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:17 PM

if youre gonna mark your hand on 3rd like you do you might as well jam it all the way and do the same on 4th....
Old 05-07-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That may well be, but is that common knowledge?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:21 PM

No one can have a straight on fifth or sixth, and on the river blumpkin can beat a straight. It's true that someone can back into a straight on the river, but blumpkin has an excellent chance of improving himself.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:41 AM

seat 2 just looked like a weak low draw, and seat 7 seemed to be jamming 4 to a wheel, which makes me believe seat 6 probably didn't catch a set of 2s since seat 7 was repping he had a 2, or needed one. I would have probably jammed every street. I find it odd that seat 6 called hero's raise on 7th, but when hero just called, he came in for a re-pop even when the hand would have been over had he just called, makes me think he possibly played a concealed pair like queens (very unlikey) and boated 7th, or maybe hit trip 2s and filled on 7th, and felt that you didn't have a boat. But I'd say 95% of the time here you are winning the high pot, with the cards that are out, there aren't many hands that will beat you, unless maybe seat 7 played Ah5d7d like it was the nuts on 3rd, then got his flush on 5/6/7th for higher than yours. but for the most part here i'd say you're good. Did you somehow lose the hand?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:16 AM

what is with seat 6's raise at the end? I'm assuming thats the hand we are talking about. Would you mind posting what they had, because its a pretty intersting hand.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Deception doesn't matter when this many low cards are in the hand. You want to take max value when you have it - get in as many early bets as humanly possible and build a massive pot. When the pot is big (as it is here on 4th st.) the first order of business is winning it. Period. Unless you've got a big boat or quads in 5, it can be disaster getting cute and making it affordable for others to draw.