Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 11:31 PM

Default Re: \"Don\'t pump gas on may 15th\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Something like requesting that everyone use public transportation for one week a year (not all at once of course) would have a larger impact on the oil companies AND be good for the environment AND reduce traffic. At least that's what I'm thinking off the top of my head. Am I right?

[/ QUOTE ]

People would have to move to mass transit in droves for a long period of time. Easy to do in big cities with a developed infrastructure, harder to do in most other areas of the country.

We're too spread out, and we're too addicted to mobility. And most federal (and state) transportation dollars go to roads (interstates in particular), not rail or buses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's not some wacky theory I'd go sending out emails about. Just saying it's more signiifcant than the "don't gas on one day" thing.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This has nothing to do with this topic, but you shouldnt let your gas tank run close to empty because there is a bunch of crap at the botton of your gas tank that can dirty up your injectors/gas pump. If you always fill it up an 1/4 the dirt stays at the bottom.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make any sense. Where exactly do you think the intake for the fuel pump is? The only way your theory would work is if the fuel pump intake is somehow floating on the gas, so that it always draws from the top.

Although there is one good reason not to run your tank empty all the time. Most modern cars actually submerge the fuel pump in the gasoline to help keep it cool. Continuously running the tank completely empty will cause the fuel pump to run hotter and it will burn out sooner.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This has nothing to do with this topic, but you shouldnt let your gas tank run close to empty because there is a bunch of crap at the botton of your gas tank that can dirty up your injectors/gas pump. If you always fill it up an 1/4 the dirt stays at the bottom.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make any sense. Where exactly do you think the intake for the fuel pump is? The only way your theory would work is if the fuel pump intake is somehow floating on the gas, so that it always draws from the top.

Although there is one good reason not to run your tank empty all the time. Most modern cars actually submerge the fuel pump in the gasoline to help keep it cool. Continuously running the tank completely empty will cause the fuel pump to run hotter and it will burn out sooner.

[/ QUOTE ]

everything Ive ever read, or told to me by by old man who has been an operating engineer/mechanic says Im right, but so are you in regards to the fuel pump burning up. Pour a bunch of sand into your gas tank and let it sink to the bottom, and tell me it doesnt [censored] up your fuel filter, injectors, etc.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:33 AM

Woah, funny, I just posted in my blog about this. Summary of blog post: the concept is idealist and entirely flawed.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only way to make anything like this work is to boycott a certain company such as exxon or valero. Not pumping gas for one day is ridiculous. Ban exxon because I'm tired of hearing about their record jr bacon cheeseburgers.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if they posted their earnings in BBV?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-08-2007, 03:05 AM

$3 a gallon? Think yourselves lucky, in the UK we pay around $7!!
Plus approx $600 annual road tax if you drive a gas guzzler (although its free if you drive something really eco-friendly), congestion charges in cities and ridiculous insurance premiums, it's not cheap to drive here guys [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2007, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$3 a gallon? Think yourselves lucky, in the UK we pay around $7!!
Plus approx $600 annual road tax if you drive a gas guzzler (although its free if you drive something really eco-friendly), congestion charges in cities and ridiculous insurance premiums, it's not cheap to drive here guys [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

But you guys drive around in matchbox cars.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
everything Ive ever read, or told to me by by old man who has been an operating engineer/mechanic says Im right, but so are you in regards to the fuel pump burning up. Pour a bunch of sand into your gas tank and let it sink to the bottom, and tell me it doesnt [censored] up your fuel filter, injectors, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course the sand will clog up your fuel filter (although I would expect it to stop there - what's the point of a fuel filter if it lets something as large as sand get all the way to the injectors?). What I'm saying is that if you dump a bunch of sand in when the tank is full, let it sink to the bottom, and then try to drive the car, you will still suck the sand into the fuel pump immediately, not when you get to a 1/4 of a tank left. The gasoline pickup is always at the bottom of the tank (how else would you get out the last bit of gasoline?).

click and clack agree
Old 05-08-2007, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never understood why choose to fill up when the tank is half full compared to when the tank is almost empty. Its not like gas is going to go stale. You will use it up eventually.

I think the better point would be don't drive a car that gets under 30 mpg. But thats more focused on auto makers than oil companies.

Its a lose lose situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What if I fill up with premium? (I realize this could be an entirely retarded question)
Old 05-08-2007, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what if i need gas?

[/ QUOTE ]
Fill up the 14th so you don't need it. You get gas like you want, and you stick it to the big oil companies!!