Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: What are the odds there was no cheating going on here?

[ QUOTE ]
I am female. I wanted a call. It was a question regarding cheating, not strategy. I admit I have a lot to learn because, as stated I am a new player.

[/ QUOTE ]

You asked about cheating and the answer isn't clear unless we delve into stratagy in your posts. You admit you wanted the call and that's exactly what you got. You gave her great implied odds to felt you (implied meaning she didn't quite have the right pot odds to call the other $20 (about 3/1) if she thought that you had a pair, especially an overpair but if she hit her flop with a K2 she knew she could stack you for the remaining $60 (I am not 100% on the odds here but am giving you a fairly close representation, well within the hoime game range of a LAGgy player). So unless you had AA or KK she was getting the right price. Your bad luck that you did and she monster'd her flop.

As to the possible cheating - next time you play there insist that the dealer cut the cards every hand. If he refuses you have your answer. Do you honestly expect any of us here to be able to tell you if they were cheating, based on 3 hand histories?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:20 AM

I didn't expect an amazing Kreskin like answer, no. I was hoping that people with more experience than me gave me some feedback, which is pretty much what I got. I think I realized after that feedback that my buy in was too low. I also expected at least one person to say something to the effect of, your aces got cracked, stop your crying, etc. etc. That was you. Thanks for making my expectations come true.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't expect an amazing Kreskin like answer, no. I was hoping that people with more experience than me gave me some feedback, which is pretty much what I got. I think I realized after that feedback that my buy in was too low. I also expected at least one person to say something to the effect of, your aces got cracked, stop your crying, etc. etc. That was you. Thanks for making my expectations come true.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was me, buckeye32 and misclick odds. I see now that your analytical skills need some work so isn't surprising that you aren't sure if you were cheated. R.I.P.

Next time you want answers to questions that can't be answered try asking yourself if the question really needs to be asked. More than likely it doesn't and you should have posted it it here: The right forum for you

Sorry for taking this tone with you but don't get all snotty with me just because you don't like the answers.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:40 AM

I was being serious when I said thanks for making my expectations come true. I bet someone the $200 I lost that within one day I would get at least one rude answer to a pretty forthright question and thanks to you, I am even. BTW, its a question on a home game, and its posted in the home game section. I think the forum is appropriate. Don't be sorry for taking the tone with me now when the original tone you took was snotty to begin with. Uh, yeah, my skills need work, I am new. Wow, I am SO hurt! It seems ridiculous someone can't ask a question without getting a douche bag response. Especially the part about don't go crying, when I don't think I was crying to begin with. BTW, Buckeye wasn't rude.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:48 AM

"Next time you want answers to questions that can't be answered"

Why did you bother to answer then? Kinda seems dumb, doesn't it. Others answered in a clear, concise, helpful way. The obviously have better communication skills. How sad for you. You didn't understand a question, and couldn't answer, so you decided to act like an idiot. How sad.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Next time you want answers to questions that can't be answered"

Why did you bother to answer then? Kinda seems dumb, doesn't it. Others answered in a clear, concise, helpful way. The obviously have better communication skills. How sad for you. You didn't understand a question, and couldn't answer, so you decided to act like an idiot. How sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Troll. You've been Bozo'd.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet someone the $200 I lost that within one day I would get at least one rude answer to a pretty forthright question and thanks to you, I am even.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this person taking any more action on replies to posts by any chance? I'd like to lay some bets if so! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The short buyin can work for or against you - you probably do want the bad calls you got for the most part, just frustrating when they go wrong in every case. Be very careful if you go with a higher buyin because if you tend to bet post-flop really weak, that'll be noticed and you still get the "bad" calls because now they see a big stack they can win. Fine line between exposing yourself to too much of a loss in one shot and being stacked right while learning.

I'd say don't buy in for less than 50bb in any case but thats just me. I always bought for 50bb ($100) at 1/2 when I was learning. Home game buyins do tend towards weird though - I've played home 1/2 games where everyone buys $30-$40 so I just buy $30-$40 like everyone else in that case.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was being serious when I said thanks for making my expectations come true. I bet someone the $200 I lost that within one day I would get at least one rude answer to a pretty forthright question and thanks to you, I am even. BTW, its a question on a home game, and its posted in the home game section. I think the forum is appropriate. Don't be sorry for taking the tone with me now when the original tone you took was snotty to begin with. Uh, yeah, my skills need work, I am new. Wow, I am SO hurt! It seems ridiculous someone can't ask a question without getting a douche bag response. Especially the part about don't go crying, when I don't think I was crying to begin with. BTW, Buckeye wasn't rude.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha, well played. You'd be surprised how many people here are so insecure that they insist on trying to be rude towards anyone who asks a question they feel is silly.

Anyways, you can't rule out cheating if you don't know what to look for. Sounds to me like that player was just getting lucky though, but next time you go (and I would not recommend going back to this game as a beginner) pay very close attention to what is going on - even grab some videos on how people cheat at hold 'em. In any game, the deck should always be cut, this is just a standard. Cut the deck. My home games, sometimes we do, sometimes we don't. If we have a new player at the table, I ALWAYS cut the deck, because I don't want them to feel uncomfortable. Also, I want them to pass the deck to be cut, so I don't feel uncomfortable either. If I am winning an extreme amount, I tend to pass the deck to the guy next to me for him to cut, again, just trying to make everyone more comfortable. There are a few good videos on the net that give some tell tale signs that people are cheating, do a couple of searches and see what you can find.

As for buying short, I don't know if that is making as much a difference as everyone else says. When you play with crazies, you could have made a much bigger raise and K 2 is still calling, and still hitting, and you are losing more money.

Barry Greenstein has been known to advocate buying in for the minimum, however, he IS a master of the game.

I'd recommend a smaller game for you though. Personally I think it's best to start out at .25/.50, and work up from that (buy in would be around $30). If you can't find a game like this (only home games really) then $1/$2 is still better than $2/$5. (Here you should be buying in for around $150 or so) For that $2/$5 game, a DECENT buy in would be AT LEAST $200, in my opinion.

Anywho, hope you keep posting here and don't be too put off by the few jerks that respond.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the advice, I will keep posting here, I have found that at least 90% of the community on here is helpful and friendly. The funny thing is, I think I found out exactly what I did wrong, so the other poster didn't really make any sense (the rude guy). I think for now, also, I should stick to limit, where I have had some success. NL is over my head right now.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:31 PM

i find it kind of funny that "cheating" becomes a resonable concern for you based upon these three hands.

maybe poker isn't for you? not because you are bad, but these beats seem to effect you a bit too much.