Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2007, 03:50 PM

Default House game robbed, need theories.

Here is the scenario (I wasn't there when it happened, and wasn't there at all that night). This is what I know from talking to several people who were there that night. A house game has been running playing 1/2 NLHE once a week for over a year. A rake is taken, and most people that show up are from the local clubs in town. Yes, I understand all of this is illegal. This game plays like a 2/4 game as there will be several thousands of dollars on the table later in the night. Not to mention additional money that people will have on them. The guy who used to own/rent the house (and ran the game) is in jail. Phone conversations are recorded at jail. His good friend was running the game in his absence. There were 3 people living at the house, 2 of them dealers. One guy has since left, which was before the robbery. There were no grudges vs. any of these people. There was money owed to the guy runnng the game, but it would be stupid if he had this done.

OK, there is a 6ft. privacy fence around back where everyone comes in to play. The gate is always open and so is the door to the house. Very easy for anyone to come in, unlike the clubs were the doors are locked and a camera running. So it was a cinch for anyone to just walk in and rob the place. It was two guys with masks (obviously), one with a gun and the other taking everyones money. Question is, who? Well, it must be someone within the scene that has ties to who did it. They knew where, and when to strike so it was very planned out. Nobody recognized anything about these two guys in any way. As they left one guy mentions the guys name who is in jail about paying his debts. This doesn't make much sense and could be a decoy, or there is something none of us know. Approx. 15 minutes after this took place a club owner and dealer showed up.

Getting a fresh look at this, what group of people(s) are most likely responsible for doing this?
Old 05-05-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: House game robbed, need theories.

his isn't a home game. its an underground game, there are so many people who know about the game and all it takes is for them to mention it to someone who mentions it to another person who is less than honest.

its quite possible that this isn't planned by someone within the scene, just a thoughtless slip o fthe tongue gives the info out to the wrong people.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very easy for anyone to come in, unlike the clubs were the doors are locked and a camera running. So it was a cinch for anyone to just walk in and rob the place. It was two guys with masks (obviously), one with a gun and the other taking everyones money. Question is, who?

[/ QUOTE ]

Queue Inner Circle "Bad Boys" theme...

Theory #1 - Is this house visited by locals (aka. neighbors)? If a weekly game ran like that was run in a bad neighborhood, I might guess it could be some bad neighbors. Not everyone likes that strange people are coming or going at all hours of the day into this house.

Theory #2 - It was someone who has played in the game before and was not noticed.

Theory #3 - [ QUOTE ]
Approx. 15 minutes after this took place a club owner and dealer showed up.

[/ QUOTE ] How did he react to the scene when he showed up? Was he upset? Nervous? Happy go lucky?

Sounded like a good game too.

Good Luck!

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2007, 04:13 PM

True, it would be a underground game.

No neighbors come to the game, or even know about it. There is a parking lot in back.

Nothing seemed unusual about the club owner and dealer. Apparently they came from the bar as it was 2:30am'ish.

It was a juicy game. WAS, the game is dead and the people have since moved out.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:14 PM

This game was a robbery waiting to happen. By dealer, you mean "dope dealer" I assume. This opens up the list of possible suspects incredibly wide, I know from experience *cough*. Someone might have been copping from them while a game was going on or they might have overheard something. Either way, it wouldn't be hard to scope out a house for a couple of weeks and get a feel for when to hit, and how many guys you would need. I would think about those type of people first, not people who are regulars at the game. Also, just be patient and keep your ears open b/c people who do [censored] like this have a tendency to piss off other people and end up in beef, and you will start to hear some stuff after awhile. Hope ya'll find out who did it. Oh yeah, I wouldn't put too much stock in the robbers saying stuff about the guy in jail paying debts, and I seriously doubt he had anything to do with it. It just wouldn't make sense.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:19 PM

Here's my theory - it's worth what it cost you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Guy in jail owes people money for some criminal enterprise. They're sitting around grousing about how Fred went off to camp (jail) and they sure would like their money. They know about the game of course and they decide shoot, lets just go knock that thing over and see what we get.

Questions:

1) How long has guy been in jail - not long or a long time?
2) How much money does jail dude owe and to how many people - little bits all over or one large sum?
3) What is guy in jail for? The game or ??
4) What is it you intend to do if you do figure out who did this? Call the police? That doesn't seem like too great an idea. Relatiate by going and murdering/robbing someone? Also not the best idea.

IMHO if you're at an illegal card game and it gets robbed, you sorta have to write it off and not go there any more.

I do love a good mystery though. What state was this in? Do we have any license plate numbers to work with? I'll be the CSI guy, I've watched that show TONS! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This game was a robbery waiting to happen. By dealer, you mean "dope dealer" I assume.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I meant card dealer, seriously. A couple card dealers lived at the house, they make good money.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's my theory - it's worth what it cost you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Guy in jail owes people money for some criminal enterprise. They're sitting around grousing about how Fred went off to camp (jail) and they sure would like their money. They know about the game of course and they decide shoot, lets just go knock that thing over and see what we get.

Questions:

1) How long has guy been in jail - not long or a long time?
2) How much money does jail dude owe and to how many people - little bits all over or one large sum?
3) What is guy in jail for? The game or ??
4) What is it you intend to do if you do figure out who did this? Call the police? That doesn't seem like too great an idea. Relatiate by going and murdering/robbing someone? Also not the best idea.

IMHO if you're at an illegal card game and it gets robbed, you sorta have to write it off and not go there any more.

I do love a good mystery though. What state was this in? Do we have any license plate numbers to work with? I'll be the CSI guy, I've watched that show TONS! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Guy has been in jail for approx. 6 months.

As far as I know he doesn't owe people any money, but I can't 100% confirm this.

He isn't in jail because of the game, it's an assault charge of some sort. I don't know the details of it.

I personally won't be doing anything if I find out except to notify the people who were at the game about it.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
True, it would be a underground game.
It was a juicy game. WAS, the game is dead and the people have since moved out.

[/ QUOTE ]

if they were planning on ending the game or moving out anyway then maybe they had their own game robbed?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:53 PM

They were not planning to move out. They moved out because of what happened. Lets get back on track here.

Thanks