Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Limit or No Limit

Greetings...
I didn't know where else to post this... not really a beginner: but eager to learn so I guess any place will do [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

95% of my hands have been no limit hands... the others include 7 card stud and such.... As far as betting goes in poker; I'm really used to the no limit style....

Now I'm getting back into poker and hoping to make it a semi professional thing. I'm rather open minded and always thinking of ways to improve...
I NEVER even thought about it, but now getting more serious of poker: I am considering it... learning limit poker thoroughly.

For those semipros/pros and veterans of poker out there: what do you think?
limit hold'em or no limit hold'em.

I'm not too worried about what is more suitable for me. I mean that in the sense that I'm willing to learn anything; and I suppose the results come first.

I'd rather be a winning limit player than a broke no limit player.

Any thoughts please!
Thanks in advance!

Eddy
Old 05-03-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Limit or No Limit

Figure out what is most profitable for you and go from there. Some people's natural style fits better with NL and some find their place in LHE.

If you were looking for a small second income, then I'd multitable limit games. Not so much risk there.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:59 PM

Whichever you feel comfortable with and meets your underlying reasons for playing poker. The two games are very different...online limit up to med-low stakes is all about learning to bet for value against villian's range. Deception is not important until you are playing online 5/10 or even higher. However, it is good for your NL game to understand betting for value well. In NL you can miss a significant number of value bets, and still be a winner. But if you learn when to make those value bets more frequently and correctly, you will be a bigger winner.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:11 AM

Thanks for the response: NL is fun no doubt~ but I'm object is to become more of an all around gamer (the 3/4 games I want to be proficient is stud/HL/omaha, and later on their hi/lo variations)

Right now, I'm more focused about finding something that I can grind out a "living" (if you can call it that) I know it's not easy, but on the other hand I know it's doable... So recently: I'm thinking about playing limit holdem to start out and build a bigger roll.....

What differences have you noticed in making money from the two different games??
Old 05-04-2007, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the response: NL is fun no doubt~ but I'm object is to become more of an all around gamer (the 3/4 games I want to be proficient is stud/HL/omaha, and later on their hi/lo variations)

Right now, I'm more focused about finding something that I can grind out a "living" (if you can call it that) I know it's not easy, but on the other hand I know it's doable... So recently: I'm thinking about playing limit holdem to start out and build a bigger roll.....

What differences have you noticed in making money from the two different games??

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really play limit so I can't speak to your money making question directly. What I will say is that most of the new players (fish) flock to no-limit games. If you go to any online card room there are about double the number of players playing no-limit at each comparable level (i.e. 200 NL is comparable 5/10 limit, 2/4 NL corresponds to 10/20 limit). On this basis of this observation, and stuff I have heard from other people, the NL games are going to be easier for a good player to beat and it will be easier to table select.

Lucky
Old 05-04-2007, 09:33 AM

I played limit all last year. You could make a significant amount of money playing low stakes limit(1/2 - 2/4) and bonus whoring but since the UIGEA, the games have gotten horrible on the limit side. Perhaps the sites that are unavailable to US players are better.

If your objective is to be a well rounded player, then definitely learn limit. But for current profitability, I believe Nl is better.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:53 AM

Which type of player you think cardrooms prefer?

limit or no limit.

I believe they wd be very happy if more players played limit because they would be richer hence the players poorer. (unless you are playing crazy limits where rake is negligible)
Old 05-06-2007, 11:53 AM

also dont forget the risk of getting cancer at limit tables getting outdrawn at least 1 in 3 hands at river.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which type of player you think cardrooms prefer?

limit or no limit.

I believe they wd be very happy if more players played limit because they would be richer hence the players poorer. (unless you are playing crazy limits where rake is negligible)

[/ QUOTE ]

This has nothing to do with whether or not he should learn Limit or No Limit. In fact, I think your argument is completely wrong.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:59 PM

I typically suggest limit to new/beginning players. You typically lose less on each hand than you can at NL (where you can put your whole stack in on one mistake) and this will keep you playing longer. More importantly, limit will give you good practice in POT ODDS. While pot odds are not as important in NL, they are still a very important concept to get down well (as you won't often be able to make a judgement call based on reading an opponent which can make a seemingly unprofitable play or call extremely profitable).

D_D