Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Range Finders, GPS Discussion

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have always been under the assumption they were legal unless a local rule was adopted to not use during a certain competetion, otherwise the USGA would not encourage posting of scores while using them.

[/ QUOTE ]

USGA Rules of Golf

[ QUOTE ]
14-3/0.5 Local Rule Permitting Use of Distance-Measuring Device

Q. May a Committee, by Local Rule, permit the use of distance-measuring devices?

A. Yes. A Committee may establish a Local Rule allowing players to use devices that measure distance only. However, the use of devices that gauge or measure other conditions that might affect a player’s play (e.g., wind or gradient) is not permitted.
In the absence of such a Local Rule, the use of a distance-measuring device would be contrary to Rule 14-3.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Rule 14-3
Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment:
(a) That might assist him in making a stroke or in his play; or(b) For the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that might affect his play; or(c) That might assist him in gripping the club, except thati) plain gloves may be worn;(ii) resin, powder and drying or moisturizing agents may be used; and(iii) a towel or handkerchief may be wrapped around the grip.Penalty for Breach of Rule 14-3:
Disqualification.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty clear. Not sure why people seem to think these devices are always legal under the rules. They are not unless they are specifically allowed under a local rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

every technological measuring devise know to n=man should be legal. either that or outlaw caddies ORRRR (better) require caddies.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:26 PM

Yes.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:56 PM

SkyCaddie's are USGA legal (public knowlegde which can be shared).

Anthing that also provide wind information (SkyCaddie does not) is illegal.

I own a SkyCaddie and absolutely love it.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:43 PM

Just got my SG4.

Battery now charging! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2007, 07:09 PM

SG4 is far superior to the laser range finders... with the finders trees, etc tend to get in the way and it often takes multiple attempts to get an accurate yardage. With the SG4 the real advantage comes when you play one of their "mapped" courses which give yardage to hazards, end of fairway, and green depth from your appraoch angle. Having tried both, SG4 is definetely hte way to go!
Old 05-06-2007, 12:45 PM

I just played around with it in demo mode, seems awesome so far, easy to use and scroll through the different info on each hole.

Before I played a round with the SG2 and I am glad I spent the extra $$$ on the SG4, the screen is bigger and the graphics are better.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:47 AM

<OT> MEga cool - esad has a Kylie avatar, may have to bring mine back.<CARRY ON>
Old 05-10-2007, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

every technological measuring devise know to n=man should be legal. either that or outlaw caddies ORRRR (better) require caddies.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've got to say I'm astonished that you can use these to play for your handicap in the USA.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the rangefinder is more valuable than the GPS devices, especially on courses you play frequently. Accurate distances matter most inside 100yds. Unless I'm mistaken, the GPS devices don't download pin positions every day for every course in their library, so all you'll get from the GPS is a front-middle-back yardage. The rangefinder will give you the exact pin yardage, which is (along with course knowledge) what you care about for pitches. I estimate the rangefinder is worth about 0.5hcp strokes for me (I'm a 3.8). YMMV [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]Accurate distances inside 100 yards matter least IMO, it's all about feel once you're not hitting full shots
Old 05-10-2007, 01:32 PM

I'm a scratch golfer, and after reading Dave Pelz's "Short Game Bible" I'm going to be getting the Bushnell Yardage Pro Tour by mid June...for very good golfers, it's an essential tool (IMO) since the biggest problem from 120 yards in ISN'T direction, it's distance control...so if you can figure out your exact yardages for diff clubs and diff swings with those clubs, it'll take strokes off your already good game.

For people whose shots are so inconsistent that it's not really possible to have a reasonable expectation that you'll hit a given club a specified yardage, rangefinders are a waste of money.