Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 01:55 PM

Default x-post, applying to law school w/out normal background

I graduated in May 2006 w/ a biology major and chemistry minor and wanted to go to dental school. However I think I want to go to law school (for various reasons I wont get into here). My resume consists of volunteering in dental clinics, science courses, science tutoring, research in different labs, and my current job at the Medical School.

Does this matter??? My non-science GPA is like 3.8, which is baller, but my science GPA is 3.1 because frankly science is hard (and makes no sense, especially chemistry, wtf?!). I'm concerned that my background is going to be seen as worthless by admissions committees.

Yes, I've taken speech/public speaking, etc. It was a liberal arts school, so all courses are writing intensive, plus I've had to take history, econ, crime and punishment, philosophy, etc. so to some degree I'm 'well-rounded'. I'm also spending a little bit of time in a firm this summer (just observing).

Anyway, this forum has quite a few people w/ their JDs, and I'm just curious if any of them took a non-conventional route like I did (or if they have knowledge or someone who did) and could share their experiences.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: x-post, applying to law school w/out normal background

Just graduated law school and know some admissions peeps. Top schools could give less of a [censored] what your background is. I had a friend who was a med school dropout etc etc. 95% of admissions is your TOTAL GPA and your LSAT score- usualyl weighed 60/40 or 65/35 LSAT to GPA.

PM me with any specific questions
Old 05-04-2007, 02:54 PM

Are law school prospects bad with like say 2.8 gpa/165 lsat?

edit: at a top college
Old 05-04-2007, 03:46 PM

depends on what you mean by "top"... you would be beyond lucky to get into any school in the top 25... but would probably get into some top 50 schools...
Old 05-04-2007, 09:59 PM

Law schools love non-conventional people. Science backgrounds in law are in heavy demand right now, especially in IP. Your GPA is fine. If you knock the LSAT out, you'll have plenty of great options.

Good luck.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Law schools love non-conventional people. Science backgrounds in law are in heavy demand right now, especially in IP. Your GPA is fine. If you knock the LSAT out, you'll have plenty of great options.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of this. PM me if you have any LSAT questions. I've also got a thread about it in this forum from a few months ago.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:55 PM

Your degrees actually probably give you a better chance at admission than someone with a Politics or History degree. English degrees with a focus on writing are probably the most useful.

Testmasters180 for the win if you want to crush the LSAT.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. Testmasters has a cultlike following, but after several arguments with TM people, I've never found anyone to point out one superior element of their curriculum. Regardless of the company, it's all about the instructors. Interview people before you drop $$$$ on anyone's class.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:06 PM

Just agreeing with everyone here, you probably look better than the avg applicant b/c of your science background. Where you went to school matters too, but the 3.1 really isn't that bad. A lot is gonna depend on your LSAT.

Law school isn't like med school, there's no required courses/major.

To the guy asking about 2.8/165. Hopefully your GPA was always going up, like you had a bad freshmen year or something. Your undergrad being good is def a plus. It's just hard to say for you because honestly everything's a toss up and some place might like you. Get some good extra curriculars and take a year or two off to put some distance between you and the GPA (but make sure the LSAT score is still eligible, unless you want to retake it).

You'd probably be fine getting into a second tier school (the second 50 on US news), and def a 3rd tier.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. Testmasters has a cultlike following, but after several arguments with TM people, I've never found anyone to point out one superior element of their curriculum. Regardless of the company, it's all about the instructors. Interview people before you drop $$$$ on anyone's class.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked testmasters because of the large amount of study material they gave out and how I had access to every single LSAT question ever asked on a real LSAT. I don't know if other test services do this as well, but I felt that having a HUGE amoung of real lsat questions helped me a lot.

My instructor was also kind of a hardass who was way too obsessed with the test. He didn't have a knack for making a student feel all warm and fuzzy about taking the test, and instead was concerned with helping someone master the concepts. Some people hated it, some like me loved it.