Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 05:51 PM

Default my lower back hurts a lot

i hurt it warming up for squats. there was no one moment like a pop or anything--i was just like, "my back doesnt feel that great i think im gonna stop." and its been [censored] up for like two weeks, healing pretty slowly. i made an appointment with the chiropractor but thats not until tuesday. my symptoms are like if i bend down to pick something up, theres a somewhat debilitating and shocking pain where my spine meets my hips. and if i sit down and lean forward a little bit (like how you sit on a toilet), that hurts a lot, especially if i relax my lower back, then it quickly becomes excruciatingly unbearable.

i was hoping that someone who has had something like this before could empart some wisdom. basically id like to know if i should be stretching, avoiding stretching like the plague, icing it, heating it or what. please he'p.

(cross-posted from oot. seemed reasonable.)
Old 05-03-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Re: my lower back hurts a lot

Let me know if the chiropractor helps, I had the exact thing happen to me a couple weeks ago and my lower back is still not 100%.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:41 AM

Sounds like a strain, or at least that's what I was told by a doctor about similar symptoms. I don't think there's anything a chiropractor can do. Muscle relaxers might help, that and time.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me know if the chiropractor helps, I had the exact thing happen to me a couple weeks ago and my lower back is still not 100%.

[/ QUOTE ]

i strained mine doing crappy squats followed by worse deadlifts...i sit in a chair all day so i doubt that helps

it hurt for several days then slowly faded but occasionally it feels tight when im at work.

I'm laying off the squats/deads etc till it is feeling good

but will doing bench press...shoulder press(seated) pullups...just make it worse? obv bent over barbell rows probably would.

anyone know a good stretch for lower back?
Old 05-04-2007, 05:14 PM

Had an injury like that for years now. Had to stop lifting because of it. Alot of back problems are due to surrounding muscles becoming tight through inactivity. Hamstrings, quads etc. Stretch those a few times a day it should help. Walking and swimming are great for your back also look at your posture. Sitting is one of the worse things because we rarely sit properly and it just inflames the lower back area.

Try to strengthen your back - i improved mine through bridging like gymnasts perform (but not as graceful). Try yoga, its quite hard and really improves posture - plus yoga classes are full of women which is a nice bonus.

For the pain try some anti-inflammatory medicine. Hope it goes I feel your pain. All the best.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:32 PM

It could be a disc injury. One way to check is to down flat and lift one leg straight off the ground(then the other), if you feel a sharp shooting pain(you will know) it might be a disc compressing a nerve.

Disc injuries usually just take time to heal. Stop lifting and talk with someone who can work with your specific injury so that you can lift safely. Muscle relaxants can also be helpful. The usual rule for injury is ice initially, first 48 hours then heat.
Anti steroidal anti inflammatory meds are good but I know a lot of weight lifters will avoid them.

A good strengthening exercise is to lay face down and lift opposite arm and leg off the ground holding for a 2-3(squeeze) count then alternating.

I have seen Utah endure 2 back surgeries after blowing a lumbar disc, twice.
The first time he injured it he rested and waited and thought he could get back into it, only feeling some occasional twinges. As soon as he went back to deadlifting the disc blew. Surgery #1.

The same disc blew after a long rehab and very careful lifting, just one of those things. Surgery #2. Pretty much no disc left in that L4 space and most likely some nerve damage.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:21 PM

Cliff Notes: Dont do squats.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cliff Notes: Dont do squats.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol