Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Re: HU river

argument for a check though is the same as the argument for a bet really. You check, he checks a 7 and wins vs. K hi. He convinces himself he should have value bet. Next time you c/r him and he fears it for a while. operative word is "novice" = value bets too much or too little usually.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
of course its for value. i never have the worst hand unless he made two pair on the river

[/ QUOTE ]

A good player should sometimes just be calling down with an ace and a mediocre kicker. Maybe this guy is not a good player. KQ is also a possibility.

Anyway, it seems pretty ambitious for you to expect him to both bet a 9/7 and call down your check-raise. I don't think it's a "good" value bet with a 9 or 7, FWIW, unless something exceptionally weird is going on, and I value bet a lot more liberally than most people.

There's certainly an argument for checking and calling, However, that's a different issue from putting a raise in if he bets. I think you'll be getting the worst of it more than you think when that second bet goes in.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:14 PM

only total fish will show up with an ace after that action with any regularity. not calling u a fish for advocating playing an ace like that, but that's how players in those games play

i think not raising with an ace there is pretty bad tho. for one, you're way ahead, and two if you're not autoraising the flop with A2 then ur semibluffs have no credibility and u get looked up by anything
Old 05-04-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
argument for a check though is the same as the argument for a bet really. You check, he checks a 7 and wins vs. K hi. He convinces himself he should have value bet. Next time you c/r him and he fears it for a while

[/ QUOTE ]
lol this is not that case at all. in these 3bet pots i cr second pair or better pretty much whenever i dont think the guy has a/k high and they never stop value betting bottom pair

this particular board is different tho bc of the high cards on it
Old 05-04-2007, 03:30 PM

so then check/raise you're only really missing like KT
Old 05-04-2007, 03:48 PM

agree with nate, i think checkraise sucks.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:22 PM

I agree with gehrig for the most part - those saying he can have an A.. i think thats a bit ridiculous. shaun isnt super experienced limit HU but hes agressive enough (but at the same time not tricky enuff) that we can be sure we're ahead on this river 80%~ of the time.

I think going for a CR here is fine every once and a while.. he isnt dumb but he may bet a 7 or 9 here sometimes. (i think k9 is an autobet for him on thsi river) not to mention he can have q10 etc
Old 05-04-2007, 10:18 PM

im confused as to why shaun wont have an ace.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im confused as to why shaun wont have an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]
if nothing else just take my word for it? i play more heads up than probably anyone in this forum and nobody but button limping fish will have an ace here with any regularity
Old 05-05-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if nothing else just take my word for it? i play more heads up than probably anyone in this forum and nobody but button limping fish will have an ace here with any regularity

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I play lots of HU limit, I'm not a button limping fish, and I will have an ace here a lot.

___1___