Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 01:19 PM

Default NL 400 - KK in SB facing raise

No reads.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (9 handed) saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero ($436.65)</font>
BB ($400)
UTG ($442)
<font color="#C00000">UTG+1 ($327.35)</font>
MP1 ($191.10)
MP2 ($88)
MP3 ($387)
CO ($70)
Button ($132.10)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $16</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero ???

<font color="red"> In this situation with KK out of the blinds, I generally like to call. Check a rag flop, and let QQ-JJ bet it. In other words, I don't want to put QQ-JJ on the defensive yet.

I don't give up on the pot necessarily if an Ace flops, but I don't generally try to build a pot with KK out of position here. If it is a maniac or total fish who raised, it might be a different story . . . Thoughts? </font>

Hero calls $14, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($36) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ???

<font color="red"> This is a horrible flop for me unless he precisely has AQ. He may continuation bet AK with 2 overs and a gutshot or AJ open ended. But I am losing to AA, QQ, TT, 88, while JJ and 99 have 6 outs on me. Plus, the Kc makes me trips but completes a flush and makes AJ a straight and JJ open ended. I do not want to escalate the pot. I check. Thoughts? </font>

Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Turn: ($36) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ???

<font color="red"> OK, I hit my hand. If he was slowplaying AA, QQ, TT, 88 or he had AK, I have got him by the balls. If he had a flush draw or AJ, I am behind but have outs. If I checkraise here, it looks like I hit my flush or straight. He might get away from his hand. If he has a medium pair or a one pair hand, he might check behind if I check, but he might call if I bet thinking I am bluffing the flush. There is $36 in the pot. I decide to bet $32. Thoughts?</font>

Hero bets $32</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $64</font>, Hero ???

<font color="red"> He likes his hand. The minraise was very quick. He may have a flush or a straight. Then again, he may have been trapping on the flop with AA or a set, or maybe he just improved his AK. Perhaps he now has a pair and a combo draw. Mentally, I decide that he was trapping on the flop. So I called. In retrospect, I should have pushed because another club or straight card would kill my action. Thoughts? </font>

Hero calls $32.

River: ($164) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ???

<font color="red"> Phew. Blank on the river. Because of my turn call, I now have to check and let him bet it and go for the checkraise. I realize now what a mistake my turn call was. I should have 3 bet. Thoughts? </font>

checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $52</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???

<font color="red"> I try to raise all in but misclick. If he has a flush or straight, so be it. Again, because I felt he was trapping on the flop by the speed of his turn minraise, I was pretty sure I had the best hand. He instacalls my check-raise. Thoughts? </font>

Hero raises to $224</font>, UTG+1 calls $172.

Final Pot: $612
Old 05-04-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: NL 400 - KK in SB facing raise

I like the way you played it all the way through.

I'd 3-bet the turn and obviously call a push, but I think just calling the turn raise and re-evaulating the river is fine. The only hands you'll likely get action from are the straight, a flush or a lower set. You have equity against better hands but, without any reads, I don't think taking a conservative line is horrible. Hands that check behind on the river likely wouldn't call a 3-bet anyways and a set is going to end up betting most rivers giving you the option to check-raise.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In retrospect, I should have pushed because another club or straight card would kill my action.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree. If you don't get more in on the turn you
-limit the amount you can win when a scare card falls on the river
-limit the amount you can win when your opponent is drawing and misses
-increase the chance you could get bluffed out on the river when a scare card falls
Old 05-04-2007, 02:36 PM

I don't have advice, but I wanted to say good post. This is a very interesting hand. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:56 PM

Raise preflop,
As played: donk bet flop
As played: 3bet turn
As played: River is ok.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:09 PM

I generally raise this PF out of the blinds so i dont have to play the hand passively and OOP the whole way though your reasoning for just calling is interesting. Is this your standard line or do you usually 3bet?
Old 05-04-2007, 03:19 PM

check calling is ok on the flop, leading is ok too.

i'd def lead the turn tho
Old 05-04-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I generally raise this PF out of the blinds so i dont have to play the hand passively and OOP the whole way though your reasoning for just calling is interesting. Is this your standard line or do you usually 3bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people that are raising an UTG raiser from OOB have a very tight range. The tighter that range is the more I like calling.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Against an early raiser, I usually call with KK out of the blinds. (However, I usually reraise against a steal raiser).

On a rag flop against an early raiser, I will checkraise. If he has AA, then the result was going to be the same no matter what I did preflop.

If he has a QQ-99 overpair, I have a decent chance to get it all in as a huge favorite if they put me on a draw, or do whatever fish do. However, if I had repopped preflop, now QQ-99 is on the defensive, and it will be very difficult for me to stack them.

It's about disguising and not defining your one-pair hand, especially out of position. This becomes more important at middle stakes than lower stakes.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As played: donk bet flop

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you hoping to accomplish?

As it happened, Villain had QQ and flopped top set. He might have slowplayed and merely called a donk bet on the flop. He might not have.